Not using NavMesh

I don’t know if this might come up later in the course, so forgive me if you’re planning on covering it later.

I’ve considered point-and-click RPGs before I saw this course and figured I’d use a NavMesh for player movements. The main perk I consider is that I’d like my player avatar to automatically avoid obstacles, especially if I wind up with pretty cluttered scenes.

Also, I considered friendly NPCs that will sometimes follow close to the player, or sometimes do their own thing but stay relatively close (like a pet dog). Navmesh would help them wander off and still find their way back.

Also, won’t we need Navmeshes for enemy AI later on, to keep them from constantly running into walls?

I assume using this PlayerMovement.cs without navigation is less resource expensive, I’m wondering how much of an impact that will actually have, and are there any other reasons to do it this way?

Hi there. We will use navies vor the enemies in our game. It is easy to also use for the player, but introduces some complexities which I may show as bonus content at the end of the section.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms