Not successfully parenting bones

UPDATE: When I selected the object and armature, went into pose mode, and then selected the bone before doing CNTL-P, the parenting worked correctly. When I did CNTR-P in Object mode, it does not work. Did I miss something in the videos, or is this a “feature” of 2.9.3?

When I attempt to parent an object in my lamp to its respective bone, it appears to parent to the entire armature, not to the bone that I shift-right-clicked after selecting the lamp component. After shift right-clicking on the bone, all bones in the armature are highlighted in the same colour. I am using Blender 2.9.3 on am iMac.

In this image, I have selected the lower arm, and then shift-right-clicked the lower arm bone. The lower arm bone is shown in the same colour as the other bones in the armature.

When I try this with other objects and bones, everything appears to be parented to the armature.

What should I be seeing in the outliner when this has been done successfully? I can’t work this out from the videos. Can someone post a picture of what I should see?

After attempting to parent each object/bone combination, and when I rotate individual bones in poser, nothing happens to by model, aside from when I rotate the stem bone at the root of the armature. That seems to work correctly and all parts of the hierarchy rotate appropriately. When I do this with other bones, nothing moves.

See the bone hierarchy in the armature object in the video below. It appears to be set up as I expect, aside from not seeing a parenting connection between then bones and the model components.

This second image is what I see in the outliner after attempting to parent each model component to its respective bone. As you can see, everything should up under the armature, and not under the bone as I would expect.

Thanks!

1 Like

There is a difference in connecting an ARMATURE (rig) or a BONE to an object.

You do a complete armature to a (for example) human object (arms legs). The bones are related to the mesh (vertices) with individual weights.

You add a bone to object relation (like for the lamp) based on object origin AND bone origin.
Keep in mind to have the OBJECT SCALE set to ‘1’.

Step is:

1. Select the single object (arm, shade …), select also armature (lighter orange).
  2. Go in to POSE mode.
  3. select a single bone (light blue)
  4. Parent object to bone command
  5. leave pose mode
  6. repeat.

Thanks Fed Pete. Was the instructor in POSE mode when he did the parenting in the video? I watched it over and over, and if this was the case, it wasn’t obvious. The POSE mode was introduced until a few videos later after the parenting to bone discussing. What does it mean to parent to a bone in object mode, as this is possible but doesn’t work as expected for the lamp example. Doing the parenting in POSE mode as you describe works great. Many thanks.

Brian

1 Like

That is the way I do it. Into pose mode select the specific bone.
I seem to recall it being a ‘clever’ shortcut to do it all in object mode. I prefer a slightly slower way that is more reliable and certain.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms