Not seeing the Character on pressing Play

I get no errors, and it looks the same to me, but just getting the grey box.

But if I press the Play Scene button rather than the Play (Arrow) button I do see the character.

Any help much appreciated.

In the first section of the other 3D course, Bram mentions that you’ll need a DirectionalLight and a WorldEnvironment in your node tree in order to see anything in a 3D scene. When he ran his main scene without those things, the screen was blank at runtime just like yours, so maybe that’s the issue.

The way he added these things as a shortcut (vs creating new nodes in the usual way), was to click the 3 vertical dots in the Viewport menu, just to the left of Transform, “Edit Sun and Environment settings.” Then, in the window that pops up, click Add Sun to Scene and Add Environment to Scene. Hope that helps!

This is not a Bram course but the newer C# course from Luis and so environment lighting and world lighting has not been introduced yet into this part of the course.

@PaulB7538
However there is no visible reason as to why this is not displaying in the “play” mode but will in the “play scene” mode.

The only thing i can really suggest is to create a new scene with a player and a camera and ensure it is lined up with the camera preview and test as that scene as the main scene and see if it reoccurs.
Beyond that we are into the realm of a bug in the project and starting a new project.

Let me know how you get on and i will try to figure out some other possible causes in the mean time

1 Like

I could not see the player when I pressed the play button either; I couldn’t even see it when I added it to the main scene. What I had to do was delete the player then (instead of dragging and dropping it) I instead right clicked Main Scene and selected “instantiated Child Scene…” then I selected the player from the drop-down menu, and it worked fine.
Update: Make sure your Player scene has been saved after adding the script (no * next to its name) before adding it to the Main scene.

1 Like

Yes, I did recognize this is Luis’s C# course. What I didn’t realize though, is that I had actually misinterpreted Bram’s implication to mean “without these nodes, you won’t see anything at all.” Clearly not the case, as this scene is working with just a player and a camera, and this actually makes more sense than how I thought it worked. Thanks for pointing this out =)

1 Like

Hi Marc,
Thanks for the advice will give what you did a go and let you know :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms