Not helpful

these lectures where you just copy shaded objects are absolutely useless. I would rather watch youtube videos.

1 Like

As much as I learned from other, more enjoyable parts of this course, I share the view expressed by @dpr010 on a few lectures, mostly in this section. The instructor fails to convey why pixels of a certain color land where they do, except that they were already there in the pre-made image.

I don’t know, I think it’s about having an open mind and making the best of what you have.
Like the instructor said, he wants us to practice color theory, and it’s probably the same for the other fundamentals.
I think it really makes no difference whether he draws it live or just traces it, ultimately the result from our perspective is the same.

The real practice comes from the “challenge”.

My method is to try and draw it in my own style or in different colors right from the beginning of the lesson to see that I understand correctly, and I end up completing the challenge before the end of the lesson.
I recommend anyone to do this and with any topic, because practicing the same idea with a different example is how you allow your brain to properly process the information.

If there’s something I don’t understand, it’s all explained in the “Fundamental Techniques” section so I can refer back to it.

What is missing, I think, is some fundamental design theory - Why does a sword handle look the way it looks? How different sword handles or blades affect the model as a whole? How to invent an imaginary weapon that also makes sense? How to invent new materials? Things like that. But that’s probably way beyond the scope of a basic pixel art course…

Privacy & Terms