Not a fan of 'Auto Retopology'

Ok, I went through and must say i’m totaly NO fan of the method of ‘remesh’ we used in this lecture.

I Agree it is faster then manual retopology, but I felt totally out of control and had a hard time repairing the throat section as my Orc had less of a neck and the vertices went all over the place.

I also noticed a lot of diamonds between the quads which seem unnecessary when baking the normal map.

Will continue for now and might do a complete manual retopology and see what the difference (in animation) will be. If the bake will be ok, I will not complain as momentarily the orc has only 6444 tri’s.

Example of Diamond between the quads:
Diamond_between_quads

3 Likes

I think this is used to make a different types of loops.
Not around the object, but around a specific detailed part of the object.

It is for creating a loop around something yes, but in many cases that I ’ fixed’ it, it was pretty useless for the retopo to put it there as the Normal map would fix the tiny differences in height where it made new loops.

I have followed some manual retopo vid’s in the past, and find the method of doing it by hand a bit more ‘feeling in control’ on the loops and all. I understand the decision to show this method, but I will follow the long road in following characters.

Yes auto retopo is used as so many are ‘lazy’ now and want quick and easy on click solutions.

My preference is to do the retopo first! Model the mesh with good topology, then multires it to sculpt on.

Just FYI, sincerely recommend exoside addon. See attached comparison, full version and 2 x 8k faces (gues which one is blender-remesh ;-))
Both retopos were “i just click remesh, 1 click, no testing of any attribute, no tweaking afterwards.”

For me, its absolutely worth a 15eur / 3months subscription. Time saver.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms