Normal Map Issues

I’m having a major issue and I’m kinda p****d about it.

Been following this course and was enjoying the texturing process via a multi res modifier. Baked it to my model and even saved and came back and it was fine and still there, I saved the texture file to my computer.

However, I was doing the leather shoulder pad last night, saved the textures and shut down. Logged on this morning for my textures were all taken off my objects and when I put them back on, they look terrible.

Here are before and after images, the last one is the after, you can see that the before images look really good, but in the after image you can see really apparent seams and the body looks low poly and I can’t seem to fix it, I’m getting really frustrated with all the nonsense

1 Like

The only reason I have seen this happening in other students’ work in various places, is animation being active. The saving seems to save at one point on the animation and when reopened it defaults to the beginning. Frequently, well entirely, since the changes to grease pencil had students need to turn on auto keying to have GP work at all. So it cropped up in the following lecture when not turned off again.

I do not think it is recoverable, Usually, it is seen on more simple models.

Image screenshot easier.

General Q&A note
Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also include the lecture time that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side.
On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups additionally where they help.

I’m confused, this isn’t grease pencil nor animation. Sorry, don’t wanna sound rude I just don’t know what that has to do with this

1 Like

it is just the same behavior, a saved file not being saved as expected when reopened. Every time that has been mentioned it is related to animation.

You might find the auto save and recover using that But if the deliberate save somehow lost the things you had done I suspect it will too.

1 Like

The auto save has the same issue, I went back before I even started the shoulder armor, back when it looked great, and it looked like the after image, just terrible

1 Like

I managed to fix it, I basically found a 3-4 day old version and start over from there

1 Like

Great to hear, can you see anything different about it that may be the problem in other versions?

1 Like

Not a single thing. I went back before I even baked the multi res, I had a multi res with some sculpted textures for the skin but nothing else, basically started the baking and texturing process completely over. I wish I knew what was the cause so you could help more people with this issue

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms