Noisy Lamp

I made a lightbulb with the spin technique we learned when doing the pins. The bulb is rather large but I liked the cartoon-y effect that had. The emission is probably too high and I need to turn it down but I won’t like doing that, because I tried it and under 100 the bulb just begins to look dim. Well, maybe if I make the color brighter while turning the emission down…? I also added a spotlight and attached it to the “tip” of the bulb, not inside it.

I went and parented both the bulb and the spot to the lampshade-bone. I should have made them the child of the ball joint but I wasn’t thinking. Everything moved as it should when I tested it, though. However, I can’t seem to find the shade bone in the outliner. It is there in the armature. :open_mouth:

Also: Mike used 3000 samples?? I struggle with 30…

1 Like

Try using a black body on the light emission of the bulb and set it to the kelvin scale for light bulbs. The shade bone will be found after opening all the bones under the armature. It’s an annoying hierarchy but opening each one individually should reveal the bone. To help keep sample counts low, set light bounces to 1 instead of the default 1024, don’t need all those extra bounces anyway. Also, check off the denoise feature available in Blender 2.79 under the layers tab.

1 Like

Hi, Nixe!
Wow! Thank you for such a detailed and comprehensive comment! :smiley: I was really just chatting to myself with no expectations of rerceiving an answer.

I had done the blacklight thing before and set it to 2700K but for some reason that didn’t help. However, I had no idea that you could even tamper with light bounces and that possibly helped a little. Thanks for pointing me to the denoising button,too. I had it on and the render was much cleaner but then I turned it off again, because it slowed my render time. I also realized that there were TWO sample buttons in the render menu and that I only had the preview one turned low. No wonder it wasn’t helping me.

Surprisingly enough, my noise problem seems to originate from the spot light I placed at the tip of the bulb. When I turned that off, the image became clean. I turned it down low and am now hoping for the best.

Haa. Bones under bones, then. So, in Blender you just need to keep cliking at everything to find stuff. Eventually it will be uncovered, like at an archaelogical dig. :laughing:

Thanks again for your helpful comment. Reading it really made my day. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms