NoeWell-Coloured

Coloured and revised

old

Greetings,

I have coloured my well as requested. FedPete suggested I looked at real wells for inspiration for my bucket and wheel device:

Because of the diameter of the axis, you need to ‘wheel’ a lot …
If you go for details, look at reference photos’.

I did a little research. You can see the results:
-The wheel was only aesthetic in the original, now it has a use since I added the 4 handles.
-The Axis is larger now.
-Some water for good measure

15 Likes

This looks fantastic! Love the detail in the model and the differently-colored roof tiles and bricks.

1 Like

Nice render! Much improved compared to the old model. Good job!

1 Like

Great improvements, so much better. Ton’s of details. So much fun!

1 Like

Some good improvements.

Lost the ridge tiles?

There is no water in a well like that they are not tanks! If water was like that you would no t need the winding mechanism you would just dip your bucket in the tank. :grin:

1 Like

There is no water in a well like that they are not tanks! If water was like that you would no t need the winding mechanism you would just dip your bucket in the tank. :grin:

-NP5

My story for the water: it was a heavy rain, what can I say? A recent phenomena in that region that increases the water level of that well. But it eventually lowers back to its original depth, and therefore still requiring a bucket later in the season.

However, the citizens of the area are considering rethinking their well well design to accommodate this new inconvenient “ebb and flow” of the underground river.

Maybe that will be my next project :wink:

Lost the Ridge tiles? I cannot see what you are taking about.

1 Like

:rofl:

Great story, a small error persists. If it was a flood and the water table was as high as in your well, it should show outside above the grey base stones, as inside it is halfway up the lowest brown well wall brick.
:bulb:Possibly you might get away with a powerful capillary action in the well tube making it a foot or so higher inside than out?

Ridge tiles. Perhaps it was someone else’s well, I thought it was an earlier version of yours that had nice cylinder section ridge tiles. My error. See quite a few wells here. lol.

2 Likes

You are correct, the citizens looked into this and saw that the problem cannot be due to the heavier rains: the well is located on level ground in the middle of an incline of land. This means that this area will not easily flood.

On the top of this incline is a lake that feeds the well’s underground river. It was during the first heavy rain phenomena a great storm broke out and great winds damaged the nearby forest, flinging debris into the lake. It seems that some of the debris may have made its way into that underground river, past the well, but got somewhat clogged. This explains the higher well water.

During the dry season the water of the lake falls, which seems to lower the water in the well. They are not sure on the details, save that perhaps if they clear that clog it might stabilize the water level. Some are suggesting a simpler solution: replace the well with a waterpump and be done with the whole thing. :wink:

2 Likes

If they clear any blockage between the higher lake and the well, they will have a geyser spout of water until the lake empties.

I just so happen to have a second hand pump for sale!

:smiley:

3 Likes

The Citizens of Inclined-Landia (somewhere in India I think) see through my con-artistry and accept your offer of said second hand pump (better than the 3rd handed one I would have drawn up). They decide to hire you as their geologist and engineer.

Congratulations!

They are wondering if that nifty rock and tiny floating metal piece on its upper right side is part of the package deal?

1 Like

Yes, that floating lump is the end of the handle. Corrosion, (or too fine a detail for photogrammetry to resolve) has worn away the rest but should be easy to weld a new bit in.
The ‘nifty rock’ is extra, it is Puddingstone which was formed around 55 million years ago. Also would be expensive in transport costs to Inclined-Landia.

Goodnight. Late night again. lol.

2 Likes

Cheers, Good night,

Only the early evening for me.

1 Like

My granddad had this in his kitchen. As a kid I found that very interesting, more magical than a normal modern tap. But when I go on holiday then I get water from a well as discussed here.
Memories …

3 Likes

Do you have an update on this one?

No, I have not done more with it. It was a test subject of photogrammetry more than being done with a purpose scene in mind. I was after the interesting ‘puddingstone’ originally not expecting it to cope much with an all black painted pump. It would be fairly easy to make it by modeling. It might then be possible to bake the material to that, or even extract a texture ‘tile’ from the plain parts.

1 Like

I love how you have added more to this :slight_smile:

1 Like

this is so detailed. I had a WOW moment :+1:

1 Like

I am glad you like it, even better if it helps you with your own work. Your nostalgic picture was a lovely piece itself.

Part of the detail was due to “experience”. Not real blender experience, but something more practical: roofing. I roofed for a summer and got to see house shingles all day, almost everyday, for a summer. You learn that your shingles must overlap, otherwise water will come through. The owner will be unhappy due to the water damage that can happen and the boss will be unhappy because of the complaints he will get. Shingles themselves were of different sizes of patterns on a shingle sheet which gave both a regular and an irregular pattern on the roof top pleasing to the eye. Some of that stuck, like the nails to your shoe if you stepped on them. Ouch.

The other help was NP5 telling me to pay a little more attention to detail: look at reference pictures.

Unless you are talking about NP5’s pump, in which case- disregard the rest and I will agree with you that his pump is really good.

1 Like

This well is gorgeous and doesn’t look like it would be out of place in a well-developed village, maybe even a small city!

3 Likes

That would be an interesting challenge for later.

Privacy & Terms