No need for even topology before multires?

When I learned about the multires modifier I learned that before you add that to your mesh you should create an even topology for that. Meaning you should make sure that your mesh is consists of roughly equal size quads. In this way the multires modifier create equal size quads and the density will be even throughout the mesh when sculpting.
But Grant did not do that! This is the reason why he has huge density at the top and bottom of the belt, and not much density on the size of the belt. I wonder why is this good?
AFAIK I can always have separate low poly mesh for exporting and baking and a separate for sculpting with the multires modifier.

2 Likes

The creation of the body and the belt are just two methods of learning Blender. Sculpting vs modeling.

Every object can be created with a multi res modifier. But there are other ways, like the belt.

The rule of thumb is to keep the vertices amount low, for responsive projects. Adding more vertices for more details. This is what sculpting does, adding vertices to show details. But the amount can be too big for other usages, like gaming. That why a high res body is baked into a lower poly. For the belt model this is not required.

2 Likes

No reason to have ‘even’ size quads for multires. Only to have quads. It makes sense to have more and smaller starting quads in areas you want more details.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms