No Build Task To Run Found - Please Help

FIXED: Just wanted to leave an update in case this helps anyone in the future.

Reinstalling VSCode with .NET 4.8 was the solution that worked for me. I hope this can also help you.

Hello. I’ve checked the other posts that had the same issue but I’m struggling to come to a solution.

Essentially, I’m also on the Unreal course, specifically video 42, section 3 (Obstacle Assault). I’ve followed the video three times, installing Visual Studio Community and VSC.

When I create the C++ class, I opened VSCode and select run build task, it says “no build task to run found.”

Two important things to note:

• I have not being able to find or create a .code-workspace file.

• When I select “Generate Visual Studio Code Project”, I also get an error message (enclosed here).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

That says you should install .NET 4.6 (or higher - as in 4.7, 4.8, not a whole number)

Hey Dan, thanks for your reply! I had previously installed 6.0 but I’ll try installing 4.6 and get back to you.

1 other question: When I try to open the project after generating a VSCode project, I get this error message. Selecting no means nothing happens, selecting yes means I get the follow-up message and then nothing happens.

Do you know what went wrong?
Capture6
Capture7

@DanM Here are the results from downloading .NET 4.6

Unfortunately no change in outcome. There still doesn’t seem to be a workspace file created

What does the log say now?

I’M HAVING THE SAME ISSUE

Successfully added class ‘MovingPlatform’, however you must recompile the ‘ObstacleAssault’ module before it will appear in the Content Browser. Failed to generate project files.

Would you like to open the Output Log to see more details?

I don’t want to give up I really want to learn this just need to figure out how to get this to work, I feel like I’ve tried most of what I can find but still hitting a wall block.

You do not appear to have the workspace open nor do you have one.

Did you select the source code editor to be VS Code? What do you see in the Tools menu in Unreal?

no, I didn’t it doesn’t give me that option.

i found it

what shall i do next?

Use the Tools menu to generate the VS Code project files and then use it to open VS Code

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms