Ninja Form (Grid Game)

Ninja Form is a deceptively thinky game where you play cards to move your three pieces into particular formations.

Each player will have a unique deck of 25 cards with each card having three actions players will perform on a turn: movement action, special action, and formation action. On your turn, you will play one of the five cards you have in your hand and perform as many actions in order shown on the card as possible.

Movement Action: you will choose one of your pieces to move according to the movement shown on the card. (i.e. move one space in any direction; move to a space adjacent to an enemy piece)

Special Action: there are four power spaces on the board, these are placed at the beginning of the game. If one of your pieces occupies a power space, you will gain power - two power if it is one of your own power spaces and one power if it is an opponents. Each special action has a power cost and must be met in order for you to execute the action. (i.e. [2] remove one enemy piece from the field; [4] Score one point)

Formation Action: This is how you score in the game. If your pieces are in the formation depicted on the card, you will score points equal to the reward next to the formation. To show this, you will permanently reveal one additional card for the remainder of the game for each reward point. When you fully reveal your hand, you win the game! (i.e. [1] Three pieces in a row; [3] Each friendly piece on a corner space)

Exceptions
Combos: On the top of every card is a combat trait: Strength, Vigor, Agility, Charisma, and Knowledge. If you play a card with a trait that matches the trait of a card you played on your previous turn, you may play one additional card on your turn of any type.
Meditate: Instead of playing a card on your turn, you may discard a card to: bring any one removed piece into play anywhere adjacent to a friendly piece and move one piece one space orthogonally.

1 Like

My player experience was geared toward a thinky audience that wants to feel clever, allowing for lots of opportunities to maximize your turns potential. The game has quick actions and turns but there is a level of planning involved. Combos make it so you don’t need TOO much planning, just play a bunch of matching cards! If you want the best bang for your buck though, you’ll plan for a big turn with combos.

Each deck has five different movement actions, five different special actions, and five different formations. Each card is paired with a different movement, special, trait, and formation. No card is the same in the deck! This makes it so players must learn the deck and its particular interactions while also always needing to think on their feet.

1 Like

I love it! You put a lot of effort and detail. Keep it up! I really love card games and I think you are on to something. I would love to play a prototype whenever you get a chance.

Privacy & Terms