New Input System

Hi, I love this course so far but one thing bothers me a lot. I did a course before (not on this site or Udemy) and they introduced the new Input system. It seemed like a good idea at first and I feel like it doesn´t hurt to learn it, but I have a hard time implementing it here. Im doing kind of ok right now, but I fear that I will break something later. So my question is, should I just switch to the old system right now, so I won´t have trouble along the way, or is it “doable” with the new input? Also, do you have any plans on making a course on how to use the new input in, lets say, Action RPG or RTS?

In Section 7 of the course he goes through the new Input system and reactors everything to use the new system. I followed along with the course as it went and did everything he did with the input system and then refactored to the new one at the end.

Good luck with the course!

Are you thinking of the Turn Based Strategy course? The RPG course does not currently use the new input system.

Yes I was! Very sorry for the confusion. Both are great courses but I did confuse them when trying to answer the question. Thanks for pointing out my error, @Brian_Trotter !

It occurs to me I never answered the OP’s question

Most of what we’re doing with input in the course is testing for keypresses and mouse clicks, both of which have multiple ways of working in the new input system. If you’re just using things like mouse.current instead of Input.GetButtonDown() type functions, I don’t think you’ll have any problem at all.

There are actually two courses that do a deeper dive into the new InputSystem. The first is our MultiPlayer course, taught by Nathan. He builds an RTS in the game and uses the new input system, though it’s not fully comprehensive. In our Third Person Combat and Traversal course, also taught by Nathan, we do a deep dive into the system, demonstrating how to use the Action maps through code directly. He also builds one of the best StateMachines I’ve seen. These two things alone are worth the price of admission.

Privacy & Terms