New input system "Failed to find entry-points" error

Whenever I try to install the new input system package to add it to my project, I get a big error that reads as follows:

Failed to find entry-points:
Mono.Cecil.AssemblyResolutionException: Failed to resolve assembly: ‘Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’ —> System.Exception: Failed to resolve assembly ‘Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’ in directories: /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2022.3.1f1/Unity.app/Contents/MonoBleedingEdge/lib/mono/unityjit-macos
/Volumes/UMO’s drive/Unity Projects/Platformer/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.8.4
/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2022.3.1f1/PlaybackEngines/WebGLSupport
/Volumes/UMO’s drive/Unity Projects/Platformer/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.burst@1.8.4/Unity.Burst.CodeGen
/Volumes/UMO’s drive/Unity Projects/Platformer/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.visualscripting@1.8.0/Editor/VisualScripting.Core/Dependencies/DotNetZip
/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2022.3.1f1/Unity.app/Contents/Managed
/Volumes/UMO’s drive/Unity Projects/Platformer/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ext.nunit@1.0.6/net35/unity-custom
/Volumes/UMO’s drive/Unity Projects/Platformer/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.visualscripting@1.8.0/Editor/VisualScripting.Core/EditorAssetResources
/Volumes/UMO’s drive/Unity Projects/Platformer/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collections@1.2.4/Unity.Collections.LowLevel.ILSupport
/Volumes/UMO’s drive/Unity Projects/Platformer/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@2.0.4/Lib/Editor/PlasticSCM
/Volumes/UMO’s drive/Unity Projects/Platformer/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.visualscripting@1.8.0/Runtime/VisualScripting.Flow/Dependencies/NCalc
/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2022.3.1f1/Unity.app/Contents/PlaybackEngines/MacStandaloneSupport
/Volumes/UMO’s drive/Unity Projects/Platformer/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.visualscripting@1.8.0/Editor/VisualScripting.Core/Dependencies/YamlDotNet
/Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2022.3.1f1/Unity.app/Contents/Managed/UnityEngine
/Volumes/UMO’s drive/Unity Projects/Platformer/Library/ScriptAssemblies —> Mono.Cecil.AssemblyResolutionException: Failed to resolve assembly: ‘Assembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’
at Mono.Cecil.BaseAssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00105] in <853812ae52c341daaef3c62ecdb86b32>:0
at zzzUnity.Burst.CodeGen.AssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00013] in :0
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at zzzUnity.Burst.CodeGen.AssemblyResolver.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x00060] in :0
at Burst.Compiler.IL.AssemblyLoader.Resolve (Mono.Cecil.AssemblyNameReference name) [0x0007e] in :0
at Burst.Compiler.IL.Server.EntryPointMethodFinder.FindEntryPoints (System.String rootAssemblyNames, Burst.Compiler.IL.Hashing.CacheRuntime.HashCacheAssemblyStore assemblyStore, Burst.Compiler.IL.AssemblyLoader assemblyLoader, Burst.Compiler.IL.NativeCompilerOptions options, Burst.Compiler.IL.Server.ProfileDelegate profileCallback, System.Boolean includeRootAssemblyReferences, System.Boolean splitTargets) [0x00055] in :0
at Burst.Compiler.IL.Server.FindMethodsJob.Execute (Burst.Compiler.IL.Server.CompilerServerJobExecutionContext context) [0x0011e] in :0

While compiling job:

Moreover, upon installing the package, I don’t get the confirmation dialogue that reads “This project is using the new input system package but the native platform backends for the new input system are not enabled in the player settings. This means that no input from native devices will come through. Do you want to enable the backends? Doing so will restart the editor and will disable the old UnityEngine.Input APIs”

I am using Unity 2022.3.1f1 on an M1 MacBook Air (2020) running macOS Ventura 13.3.1. I keep all my Unity projects on a 1 TB PNY Pro Elite V2 Portable SSD hard drive.

I haven’t found any way to fix this error, even after removing the new input system package from my project, so I had to delete my Platformer project and start over. After that, I tried many times to get the new input system to work on blank projects just so I wouldn’t have to deal with that again, but nothing has worked, including closing the editor and reopening it from the hub and downloading an older version of the package. This error is a big pain and I don’t know if there’s even any fix for it, but any help would be greatly appreciated regardless.

Hi,

Have you already tried to restart Unity?

In your error list, there are many packages we do not use. I would suggest to unistall com.unity.collections@1.2.4, com.unity.visualscripting, com.unity.collab-proxy@2.0.4 and PlasticSCM in Window > Package Manager. Look for names that sound similar, e.g. “Visual Scripting” and so on. Collab often causes issues.

Also make sure to have your Unity installation and your project files on your internal harddrive, not “somewhere on the internet” or an USB stick. Also, the project files must not be inside the Unity installation folder.

If nothing helped, close Unity and VS Code. Then go to your project folder and delete the Library folder. Start Unity again and open your own scene. Unity will very likely start with its empty default scene.

Also go to Edit > Preferences > External Tools and click “Regenerate project files”. That often fixes certain issues, too.

Thank you so much Nina! After uninstalling the unnecessary packages (except the collections package, which was listed as a dependency), I got the same “Failed to find entry-points” error. However, upon deleting the Library folder in the project file, the compilation errors went away, and I was able to proceed as normal with adding the new input system package!

TL:DR - If you’re getting weird unfixable errors out of nowhere, deleting the Library folder is a good thing to try to fix it

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms