New Defender Game...Project Puddle

Project Puddle

I’ve finished the Defender project, and even tried a few new things along the way. All the art and sound is original. Thanks for playing and let me know what you think.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

9 Likes

Hi there! This looks great, I love the simple colour scheme and the music is really satisfying!

Im having trouble getting the enemy to collide with the player and cause damage. The enemies have the DamageDealer script, any suggestions?

Thanks for playing Mulligamez. I’m glad you liked it! I had a lot of fun making it.

You’ve probably already answered your own question at this point, but just in case, have you made sure you checked the layer collision matrix in the inspector? https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LayerBasedCollision.html I had some trouble getting collisions to work correctly until I checked the right boxes. If you’ve already checked the layer collision matrix, it could be that you need to check the “is trigger” box in your player’s collider component.

Hi Lostinsomestory,

No worries, it was refreshing to see something that isn’t space themed and I like the twist you put on it! I enjoyed the click-y sounds, the subtly changing background colour and the ‘boss’ enemy towards the end of the waves.

I did indeed manage to figure it out, I was just being an idiot! My thoughts were the same as yours and I checked the layer collision matrix and the ‘is trigger’ option and they were as they should be, but it still wouldn’t work. Anyway, I realised it was because my enemies didn’t have a rigidbody2d component so when I added those it worked. Although I was confused at first because they weren’t spawning any longer - but in fact they were it was just that they were spawning inside my shredder so they were being destroyed as soon as they were spawning - d’oh!

I’m glad you were able to work it out. I have found so often that the most frustrating problems usually have the simplest solutions.

By the way, I played your shooter. Wow! What a great game. It feels really satisfying to play. Super polished. Did you create the sprites and sound effects yourself?

You’re exactly right, sometimes the answer is hiding in plain sight.

Ahh thats awesome, thank you for playing and I’m glad you liked it! I really enjoyed this one and adding extra bit and bobs so your feedback makes all those hours worth it!

I can’t take credit for the sounds, those were from Zapsplat as I don’t have a good way of making my own clear sounds at the moment, but I created all the sprites myself in Piskel :slight_smile:

The sprites were really well done. I’m using aseprite currently for the Glitch Garden project and it’s quite a bit of work. I’m impressed.

Thank you! They took me a while but I enjoyed making them. That’s great you’re doing some pixel sprites for the glitch garden, I can’t wait to see what you create! :slight_smile:

I could make a thesis out of your game, it’s truly amazing, there are some bugs but I noticed something quite amazing, even tho it’s still a bullet hell, and a very fast and chaotic one I didn’t feel like it was: the sound, the music, even the animations helped to create this weird tranquility out of all that chaos, I can see myself playing this game for hours for relaxing purposes, that’s weird for this genre.

I truly think you did something astonishing.

Oh, the bugs, right.
There are some enemies that walk through the spawning point so they can kill the player immediatly after the it respawns.
There’s something weird going on with the lives system, I don’t know how but after the game over menu I was still able to play.

1 Like

Thank you! They took me a while but I enjoyed making them. That’s great you’re doing some pixel sprites for the glitch garden, I can’t wait to see what you create!

I’m still in the first stages, but I’ll make sure I post when it’s all finished. How far are you along on that project?

I could make a thesis out of your game, it’s truly amazing, there are some bugs but I noticed something quite amazing, even tho it’s still a bullet hell, and a very fast and chaotic one I didn’t feel like it was: the sound, the music, even the animations helped to create this weird tranquility out of all that chaos, I can see myself playing this game for hours for relaxing purposes, that’s weird for this genre.

That’s very kind of you to say. I worked very hard to create a mood for this game, so I really appreciate that feedback.

There are some enemies that walk through the spawning point so they can kill the player immediatly after the it respawns.
There’s something weird going on with the lives system, I don’t know how but after the game over menu I was still able to play.

Thank you so much for finding these! I think I’ll spend some time squashing those and some other bugs before putting a newer version on itch.

Hi everyone. I spent some time updating this game and I’m happy with the way it turned out. I’ve also just published on itch.io here: https://loststory.itch.io/project-puddle

New features:

Fixed paths to avoid player spawning on top of enemies
Added an invulnerability timer when player spawns to avoid player dying right after spawning
Added visual effect while player is invulnerable
Added ability to earn extra lives

Please come check it out and leave any feedback you like.

1 Like

The solution you found for the enemies on top of the player works perfectly, incredibly creative too, amazing job there.

The next is just a suggestion and I’m just been nit-picky.
This can help to improve your visuals, currently the enemies’ particles when dying look a little weird, the particles doesn’t look natural since they all start right from the center of the enemy regardless of it’s size, an extremely easy way to fix this is by turning on the Prewarm option of the particle system, that way it can look more natural.

1 Like

Always love reading your game analysis. I learn so much from them. :pray:t3:

1 Like

Thanks again for playing and for your feedback. This was my first time really getting into particle effects so I do think they could use some work. I didn’t know what prewarming was until I read your comment.

Thanks so much.

2 Likes

This is a really cool project! It was fun to play and the general vibe of it reminded me a lot of Electroplankton. I thought the particle effects were extremely well done and added a lot to how satisfying defeating the enemies one.

My one slight critique is there are a couple of the hit sounds that sound like a high pitch smacking that are really loud. It kind of detracts from the nice music when I’m vibing to it and then get my ears blown out. I think really all you need to do is lower the volume on those sound effects, as they sound good other than that.

Overall, really great job!

Thank you so much for playing and thank you for your kind words.

You’re absolutely right about those sounds being too loud. This is my first time trying to mix music and sfx so any feedback on that is really appreciated, especially since I’m trying hard for that chill vibe you mentioned with this game.

1 Like

Hey man, really nice take on it, you can see you thought outside the box, so much so that it doesn’t feel anything like laser defender. Its got a really calming style but great challenge to it. Awesome!

Thank you so much KaininAble. I worked really hard on making it unique and making it my own, so I’m glad you noticed that.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms