New C++ coder here + new to course -- what to use to edit C++ files

Like really, what should we use to get going. In the first sections of the Udemy course you mention VS Code, then older sections you are using VS, then other seems to be VS Community edition. It’s frustrating following the course if you have to figure out why the editor of your choice is throwing a bunch of errors before you can follow along with the video.

If i try using VS-Code i get a bunch of errors about what seems to be Intelipath not able to pick up some header files in the Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Inc\EscapeRoom folder.

if i try and use VC Community it doesn’t seem to complain about header files but looks nothing like your editions at all.

and yes, sadly i installed the 2019 versions and not older 2017 versions. could the differences in 2017 vs 2019 be that bad.

:frowning:

Its not really all that difficult to follow. c++ is the same language, UE4 editor is the same editor. Just a some menu options, configuration differences, etc. minor stuff.

But if you don’t understand or remember everything they say you will find yourself increasingly in the lost zone. You have to make sure to understand which takes time.

Headers they go into. If you didn’t manually look up headers or put in each one then you will have problems and there’s some other things to look out for too.

Too be honest if you are having a hard time just use Visual Studio 2019. It is the one I’m using.
Also the code will all be the same. If it is completely off than something is not right.

Thanks. I guess my biggest gripe here is that when i started with Visual Studio Code, everything sorted just felt like it was working, eg when hovering the mouse over certain items that references back to other header files it provided the information about that class or you know, like extended info…but now with VS 2019 community hovering over anything just brings up a bubble that says search online… i’m sure it’s probably just path issues…

Privacy & Terms