Nesting Prefabs

So I keep getting caught in a loop due to putting a prefab as a child of another prefab, and then I am told that it breaks the original connection with the first prefab (now the child). For instance, in this lecture, we are told to delete the original “Bullets” prefab, but when I do that, I find that now the Bullets don’t work, because the prefab was still connected. I have to then go into my windows folder and undo the delete, and refresh it in Unity to relink.
Sometimes I have noticed other things will slightly readjust after this, like changing what is parented, but whatever.
I did a quick search and found that prefabs can now be nested in newer versions of Unity, keeping the links between prefabs even when they would have been broken before.
Maybe I am just writing this to help myself remember, and it has probably come up in other lectures, but maybe it helps someone else along the way too. Prefabs will remain linked even when making them children of other prefabs, so you don’t seem to need to delete the prefab asset (in fact that will cause the prefabs in scene to stop working).

Privacy & Terms