Need help with normal map baking

Hello, after finishing pyramid I tried to make my own model. So I decided to make a coca cola can. Everything went ok until I needed to normal bake it. So I have to models of a can. One is low poly, another is high poly. When I press a bake button, there is a glitch on the edge which is marked as seam. Don’t know the reason of such behaviour. Can anyone help with an advice of what I am doing wrong?
Low poly mesh:

High poly mesh:

Combined low and high poly display:

Generated normal map:

Shading settings:

Low poly unwrap:
UVUnwrap
Bake settings:

Result with glitch:
Result

Not sure, problem looks familiar to me.
I think it’s a problem in the normal map and how it’s mapped to the can.

Maybe you should clean up the normal map, Only using normal map for the top lid.
And remove the can side, which gives you the trouble (you don’t need it anyway).
Fix the normal map in GIMP or remove the UV-map mesh.

Ok, I will try to do what you say.

another problem you have with your unwrap is a lock of boarder around each island. When Blender bakes the islands, it needs a margin for overlap. try adding a margin of .05 or greater between your islands

1 Like

Hi, unfortunately setting margin to .05 or greater didn’t make any effect, the glitch was still there.

Maybe check normals.

after examining your normal map, I can tell you that Blender thinks your normals are pointing in different directions (the color on each side of the seam should show the same on the normal map but they aren’t.) to fix this you can try the following:

1. On your Low res model, move the seam near the top of the side to the loop which runs right along the edge of the lip.
  2. try and make the low res model just a bit bigger so that the entirety of the high res model is inside of it.
  3. try using a cage (keep the settings small, 0.01 or so)
  4. move the camera to a different angle
  5. rotate the models to place the verticle seam at 0 (zero) on the x-axis and positive y

For more info see Blender User Manual

Thanks, I will try.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms