Need Help With Baking Normals

Hi,

I know this question has been asked a few times but I am fully stuck. My normals stay the same no what I do. I’ve redone (is not close enough to the high res version?) the low poly model and gone through all the questions on here to find an answer but nothing seems to work. I have also googled and found no real answers. If anyone has advice or knows what to do please let me know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s hard to get baking right at first. Many of us struggled with it.

I noticed on your screenshot that you have extrusion set to 0. Have you tried changing that?

3 Likes

In the Bake Settings under Selected to Active:

1. Set Extrusion to 1m (In case there is still problem you can try this value between 1 to 2)
  2. Set Max Ray Distance to 0m

In the Outliner:

1. Select the High Poly model first
  2. Select the Low Poly model second

Now Bake!

This should get your Normal Right!

Do let us know!

4 Likes

A meter? Sounds huge to me but perhaps you have experience of it working.

3 Likes

Yeah, a meter sounds excessive to me too… esp. with max ray distance to 0… sounds like it wouldn’t work… but maybe new version of Blender is more flexible. Basically after bad experiences with baking (had to set up both of those and fiddle with them a lot) I stopped using it for baking… I am curious if this works - if so, I might start using Blender for baking again!

2 Likes

I have heard of no Ray distance before, its extrusion that actually helps acting a bit like a cage. I think it is just related to how far and what side of each other the two HP LP versions are.

It is always a fiddle about trying variations, or just go for a proper cage.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly… What Grant was showing in lectures was for example to measure distance from upper areas of the neck to chin and set max ray distance to that. 0m = no limits as far as I remember from docs. And it did cause issues in baking when setup incorrectly or left at 0 (that’s default). Maybe now Blender got smarter, and it does better job? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Did you:

• apply scale on both Orcs
  • Smoothing?
2 Likes

I HAVE DONE IT. If I could kiss you all I would. Thank you to everyone, this community is amazing at being problem solvers. I messed around with the extrusion value and got these values to work for my model.

I am also using blender 3.1 as well for any people in the future who might run into this problem.

4 Likes

Awesome! :partying_face:

Ray distance of 1m? Interesting that it bakes correctly! :slight_smile:

I might try baking in blender again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, it honestly could go lower to around .2 but it didn’t affect it as far I could tell so I left it at 1m as mental note that extrusion value makes it work

3 Likes

Great that it worked for you.

I feel the extrusion value should have been a little higher and ray distance lower for even better results.

But nonetheless, at the end of the day it’s personal choice.

1 Like

Bake in Blender without hesitation. Since 2.93 it has improved massively on this.

1 Like

For me these values are giving consistent results.

It was out of my experiences that I tried to guide.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms