Mystic Hammer

Hello all! I hope you are enjoying this course as much as I did. I was determined to take what I have learned from Glitch Garden and create a game (almost from the ground up) that I have wanted to for some time now. I’m still temporarily using the gridfield background for the time being.

Presenting Mystic Hammer!

Essentially a Lane Defender mixed with RPG.

Features that I added (other than the obvious assets):

• Saving / Loading.
  • Wave system using Scriptable Objects
  • Tutorial system with speech bubbles to slowly introduce characters.
  • Options being a “popup” instead of it’s own page.
  • Leveling system with EXP curve.
  • Level portraits that will upgrade their icons as you hit milestone levels.
  • Health bars
  • Sound effects for base class on hit, on death, etc with some inheritance so for example: Goblin < Attacker < Character.
  • 3d model in the splash screen and Start Menu for some flavor.
  • Projectile system that can have an effect type (like slow for ex) and a value modifier (how much to slow the enemy).

Thanks again so much to Ben and Rick for an inspiring course!

5 Likes

I just played your game and i think you did a great job it looks nice and play well too but it got so hard when you introduced the knight.

Lloyd Risper

Just played. Nicely done!!

Building my own game these days, I hope to get something like yours done.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback Lloyd_Risper! Yeah, I tried to apologize for a bit upfront - there’s almost a “difficulty wall” there because I wanted to get features working before I start adding a bunch of levels. I think I’m ready for that now, so look forward to the next update where I’ll try to double the amount of levels available. I wanted to avoid repetitive levels with the same enemies until I add more. But I definitely regret making it so hard so quick! I may even tune it in a few hours to allow people to finish what is there for now.

***UPDATE: I went ahead and smoothed out the levels so that it gives more time to setup in the first wave. This should make levels 5+ much easier.

1 Like

Wow, I appreciate the compliment Proyecto_Taco. Wishing you the best of luck on it! It can be done! Just keep with it.

Very well done.
Did you do the sprite yourself?
I wish I could do my own sprites!

This is great! Good job! The troll was a bit hard to figure out, but I got it after 5 or so tries :slight_smile: . The sprites are nice, I’m guessing you made them? I am curious to see how the leveling system works. Keep up the good work!

Thank you so much for the feedback! Sorry for the delay in answering. My wife and I welcomed our baby girl so naturally it has been crazy. I plan to get back to the project this week.

To answer your question (And weelliam as well), Most (almost all) of the sprites were purchased on the unity store. Some were modified a bit, but otherwise I went ahead and obtained the assets that way or from opengame art (credits are on itch, but I’m constantly updating that list). I am a believer in not worrying if creating sprites is not your strong suite. If you want to continue learning, don’t get too hung up on going into super amounts of detail with each piece. The last time I attempted game dev, I got hung up on advanced blender techniques and trying to learn every detail of every aspect. For the most part, continue until you feel you have mastered something and then if you are interested, branch out.

My opinion from experience at least! :slight_smile: More soon everyone! I think Skills (from leveling) will be coming up next.

1 Like

I just played and finished your game. Well done! It shows that you’ve put a lot of hard work into it, and it looks great :slight_smile:

I must admit, I found that the initial unit (the archer) was pretty OP for the cost, and I was able to win most of the levels by just spamming a bunch of them after deploying a few merchants to begin with.

But I really liked the care that went into crafting your story and the various dialogues to explain the new troops or powerups you were introducing. Keep up the good work, and congrats to yourself and your wife on your newborn :slight_smile:

Wow sfChris thank you so much for your comments. It means more than you know. I have been struggling with returning to this due to a few early issues with my daughter having to go to the ER with breathing issues - but she’s getting better now! I’m looking for inspiration to return, and posts like this go a LONG way! The feedback is on point as well, thank you. I suspected the archer might be OP. I kept tuning the game down so people playing casually can get further. As for the story and tutorials I began to wonder if I was wasting my time. So glad you liked them, I will stick to the formula to make it easy to get into.

Look forward to a future update that I am working on where you can choose which units to pick before levels start and which skills to select. You can move them around and it will save. Once I finish this feature I’ll be clear to add more content and finish off chapter 2 and start chapter 3! Stay tuned!

2 Likes

I just played your game, it’s really cool!
Hope you keep working on it!

Thanks! It is still going strong and has a steam page up and everything. Haven’t released yet, but came a loooong way since the version you played. There are new levels, new units, and a whole new loot system with crafting!

3 Likes

Just recently did some font and graphic updates, the addition of a healer, damage effects, impact animations, fire arrows, etc. It’s coming along well!

3 Likes

Your game looks amazing! Wish you the best of luck and success with your project :smiley:

How much will it cost?
When will you launch it?
Tell me more! xD

Right now the steam store page is up and the target date is this May. But I can say to everyone here with a level of some confidence that I will likely have to push that back to add more content. The core feature set should be finished by then though so that I lock that down and just focus on levels. It will also be released on Android following Steam and then iOS and possibly Mac to follow that (depends on their certification process that they have now). For more info, head over to MysticHammer.com and check out the blog for the latest.

1 Like

wow is great job nice keep up bro

Nice!! I really enjoyed playing this for a bit this morning. The tutorial section was amazing to introduce the players to the game. I loved the damage minusing animations, the sounds were subtle but enhnced the gameplay, the character were well designed and the theme was really well thought out. It just had extra polish that I enjoyed, that I think my game won’t have! Thanks a lot for sharing!

Thanks so much for the kind words! It means more than you know hearing even the older version of the game had some polish! Development is still moving along despite Covid 19 and 2 kids under 4 at home. It’s been tough, but I’m adding a forest level and poison particle effects to a new enemy and unit!

And since I last posted, made a little cutscene hah: https://youtu.be/22JKXIy7PIA

2 Likes

Haha! Cool, love it! With cutscenes it will just add so much to the narrative of the game.

On a side note, I thought about adding teleportation to a character in my game. Teleporting vertically across rows and sending a bucket load of damage down a random row. I Just kinda want to finish now though. How you going to use teleportation?

1 Like

To be honest, the teleporting at this point is for story purposes and teleporting across the land (but not within a level). I think it’s a cool idea to use that within the game. I like your idea, maybe have someone teleport above the enemies head and then use gravity to swipe down or something and maybe open a portal in the floor and teleport back! :smiley:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms