My WIP Game - Texas 42 (Dominoes)- Unreal Multiplayer Mastery

I’ve been going through the Unreal Multiplayer Mastery course, using a lot of the lessons to help tackle replication. Just wanted to show off a little bit of what I have so far. I’ll probably have a working alpha build in the next week or two that includes Host/Join functionality from a main menu, and then steam integration at a later date. A little bit about my project.

All the art assets were purchased. I’m primarily a programmer, not an artist, though I did make the level design.

Most of the project is written in c++, with no blueprints for the core logic of the game. However, the User Interface is almost all blueprint. I’ll be converting it over to c++ soon, as well as adding in more elements to suit the gameplay.

It’s a 4 player multiplayer game, turn base.

The dominoes are spawned using code, based off a single Domino actor. I use loops to assign the numbers to the dominoes, then calculate several variables based on those numbers, including a domino ID. That ID is then used to reference a constructor helper, to reference the proper static mesh. At some point I might reduce it down to a single static mesh with a dynamic material, and adjust the material based on the ID.

The game then chooses a random spawn location on the table for each domino. Shuffling moves the dominoes between those spawn locations.

The game then iterates through the different phases of the game, including picking the dominoes, placing bids, picking the trump suit, and playing the game out.

There is a lot of dynamics to the logic for replication. Several RPC functions that heavily rely on the Server Client model discussed in the course.

I’ve got about 3 weekends on this project so far, with a random hour here or there during the weeks, and I’m pleased with my current progress. I’ll have something more to show besides just a few screenshots soon. Thanks for taking a look and reading what I have, I look forward to showing the rest later on.

A video showing progress of my project. You will notice the UI has been broken up into multiple screens that only show the relevant UI for the current phase of the gameplay. Button art, size, and placement is still WIP, but the functionality of the UI is working as intended.

Privacy & Terms