My TileVania game!

Here it is!

Things I added:

A key system - this was one of the hardest to get right since bools kept turning on and off when I didn’t want them to (for example, the hasKey bool would become false on death) - solved with a simple static int system of +1 -1 and =0 depending on the state the game is in.

Visual health representation - this was tricky because visual studio community would NOT accept the unityengine.UI reference for hell nor high water. I updated Unity, updated the visual studio community package manager, and googled for hours before asking on discord and when I went to screenshot the issue…it resolved its self.

Health gain - I added a max health value of 5 and life pick ups. If you pick up a life while on max health it gives you 100 points! This was easier than expected to add.

Sound and music - I managed the systems using Serialized Sound Clips so was all pretty easy.

Scene transition and death fadeout - again, pretty easy using CinemaMachine’s Storyboard function.

Ammo and ammo collection - simple-ish to add as a blend of the takelife system and the coinpickup system.

Enemy variants and health - most enemies have 1 health but the big boss has 4 and a different death sound. They also flip over when they’re killed.

Text - added a little instruction text as a static object and also a warning flashes on screen if you try to exit without the key. Added using UI - text linked to a serialized field on the level exit script.

Known issues:

Arrows: I believe there’s still a bug with this where a single arrow can be fired if you are on 0 at the start of a level or respawn.

Camera confiner not working on Level 2 - not sure why so some blue background is visible at the bottom.

Goobers float a little off the ground when they die. I could solve this by editing some sprites, but really couldn’t be bothered and considered it minor to the task at hand.

Learnt a lot and really encourage people to add to the base lectures to really hammer home the lessons at hand.

6 Likes

I love this, lots of fun to run around and shoot! Very nice work :+1:

1 Like

Very cool! Love the music selection. I enjoyed the level design until I got bounced upwards into spikes haha O_o

Cool that you added arrows & kept track of the number of arrows as well - I was pleasantly surprised when the number of arrows persisted after I died.

The heart UI is a very nice touch as well. The non-intrusive instructions were well-placed and to the point.

All in all great job!

1 Like

Thank you! Gotta watch out for those spikes, for sure! Glad you enjoyed it and plan on expanding on what I learned to make a platformer RPG at some point.

Privacy & Terms