My Tile Vania game

This is my game from the Complete C# Unity Game Developer 2D Section 5.
Use KeyBoard to control player Use arrows or WASD to move, player Space bar to jump, F key to use a fire attack and G Key to use smoke attack.
Also you can use a gamepad Left Stick to control player, (South Button) X to jump, (Right Trigger) R2 to use fire attack and (Left Trigger) L2 to use smoke attack.
I have only tested the gamepad with a ps5 controller it worked fine on Unity on my Laptop but on this site it sometimes get the player stuck moving in a certain direction or won’t for a very small time but enough to kill the player I think it is to do with the internet connection/speed/consistency.
The aim of the game is to get through the 3 levels while defeating as many enemies as possible while collecting as many coins as possible.
There are 65 coins to collect in level 1, 1138 in Level 2 and 481 in Level 3 a total of 684 coins to collect.
There are also extra lives in the shape of yellow diamonds to be collected through out the Levels.
The number of Lives you have will be displayed in the top left of the screen and the Coins will be displayed in the top right of the Screen.
The Character cannot jump off ladder so push the UP arrow or W key to get off ladders also some of the mushroom the character will continue to bounce higher and higher each bounce other the bounce will stay the same to bounce higher to those mushroom you will need to hit the jump button at exactly the right time to jump higher to proceed with the level, the timing on the jump it quite hard to get right unfortunately I couldn’t work out how to get it a bit easier like a Crash Bandicoot game.

3 Likes

Nice work!
Praise-
The game played pretty good! I think your level design is especially good in this. You did a great job of varying the landscape and making the levels feel large and fun to explore. I also thought your enemy placement seemed well thought out. I liked the extra polish you added with the sounds etc. Great work!

For criticisms-
I don’t know if there was a problem with your mushrooms or if they just function a bit different from my version of TileVania but it seemed like sometimes I wouldn’t gain height when bouncing and sometimes I would. I also had some slightly spotty collision on the spikes. Lastly, I thought your attacks looked pretty cool but they felt a bit overpowered and I couldn’t see any reason why someone would want to use one attack over another.

Thanks I set 2 different bounce rates on the mushrooms the Capsule collider didn’t come down enough through the box collider but I had to balance the colliders for jumping as well, I though it is better to not die as much and jump well. The attacks I just wanted to practice setting them up and get another button working on the controller. I could of made them smaller but I do like things being overpowered. I might come back at a later date and fix these things but sometimes you have to judge how much time to put into things in the game as well as moving on because sometimes I spend ages trying to fix something not always that successful and he the tutor fixes it in the next lecture in 2 seconds.

But I also thing there are better ways of doing thing that we will hopefully learn later on that might fix alot of stuff.

but thanks again for the feedback

1 Like

Privacy & Terms