My Temple in Opensim

I want to create mesh in Virtual worlds like Opensim and Secondlife, here is my Temple in Opensim :slight_smile:

I never thought about Unity, seeing that it is free to download, I am going to check it out too.

Kimberly

3 Likes

Cool! Like that you could make use of your model in that way. :smiley:

Thank you :slight_smile: I don’t really plan to use this temple, but in the future this is the kind of thing I want to be able to do, create content for virtual worlds using blender.

I knew about Second Life, but didn’t know about OpenSim. Going to have to try it out. Can I do that for free like in SL?

opensim is free and if you can figure it out you can make your own little private server to test things.
http://simonastick.com/faqs08.html, and http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Servers/Server-Tools/MoWeS-Portable.shtml took me a minute to sort it, but I got it working.

1 Like

Nice, thanks for the tip! :smiley:

It was a real fight getting a server running properly, but believe it or not, it turned out one of the core developers of OpenSim was a member of a society I’m part of, so I got some A-grade tech support to back me up. :laughing:

Here’s with the server running on an Amazon EC2 instance. It may just be a blank space of land now, but I see lots of potential.

Thanks again for the tip about OpenSim! :smiley:

1 Like

You did a great job. I wonder what the upload cost and LI would be if you tried to upload this to SL? I am assuming it is free if you are running your own OpenSim world?

Awesome! I hope you enjoy it, now you got me curious what the Amazon EC2 instance is all about :slight_smile:

yes it is free to upload it in opensim. Not sure what it would cost to upload to SL.

Seems fun so far. I haven’t really gotten around to loading in any meshes yet.

Here’s me and a friend trying to figure out how you do stuff in OpenSim. :stuck_out_tongue:

EC2 is part of Amazon Web Services, and is a cheap way to rent cloud servers. It is pretty great, tho it’s also pretty complicated to set up to be honest. I got to learn to use it with my former job. You can rent things as long term as you like, but what EC2 really excels at, in my opinion, is if you need a lot of computing power for a short time. Like: if you want to rent one thousand servers with top-notch graphics cards for a couple of hours to use for a render farm; or if you have an e-commerce site that can create more servers as it needs them, so it can survive a sudden horde of incoming customers. I also use their S3 data storage service to host files for my web sites, since it is lightning fast and dirt cheap.

When you make a new AWS account you get to use some of their services for free for a year, so you could just find a tutorial and experiment a bit with it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I looked at the site a bit, it all looked a little over my head, but I am sure I will mosey on over there from time to time and eventually figure it out, or if I can’t figure it out on my own after fiddling with it for a year, then I guess its off to find a class. Thanks again and good luck!

oh and I am not sure how your server works but, check out Zadaroo you can get pre made sims to explore and its all free.

1 Like

I am sure it would be costly. I should try just to see but haven’t been in SL much lately. I haven’t tried to set up an OpenSim figuring it was way over my head and do not have a separate machine to run as a server. Not sure I want it on my regular machine. Then again, I am a bit spoiled with all the advances in SL like mesh bodies and good hair. LOL

I know what ya mean about the good hair and mesh bodies lol, I dont visit as often as I used too, but I have loads of mesh goodies in SL. I run the opensim on my main pc, it’s a little private world that I turn off and on as needed, I have a pretty good pc so I am not certain of the power it takes to run it, I didn’t notice a struggle, but it only a private server, no one but me can go in, so its just a good place to test mesh models for free. I know if you visit Kitely they have a merchants sandbox where you could upload mesh for free and check out your models.

I have more than my fair share of mesh goodies in SL LOL and still own a place there, at least for the time being. I might have try setting up an OpenSim so might privately IM you if I have question. I have a presence in In-Worldz, at least an account, and believe uploads are still free. Their sand box is usually never full or even busy! Just been too lazy to go in an try to upload plus I think SL enabled like a 65K tri limit I believe. Anyway, thanks for the info and nice to meet another person from SL.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. The “lake house” OAR is really quite nice. :smiley:

So here’s my pyramid in OpenSim. Not as beautiful as @Kimberly_Atkinson’s, but at least I got it to work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, I do a lot of work inside Second Life. It’s a pleasure to find that both Blender and Second Life use a Right Hand Coordinate system. The default file type for 3d objects in Second Life turns out to be Collada(.dae) just as their animations are done in Biovision Hierachy (.bvh) format. The import was seamless, no issues with origin or texturing the object, though without working on the texture applied to the mesh faces, the entire building is one huge texture that you will also need to set on planer (rather than default) when applying inside SL or OpenSim. Here are the photo’s I took inside SL with the Pyramid and my Avatar. Enjoy!

Jenn

(Small side note: The antlers are for the christmas season. Sorry I’m not a furry… ;))

2 Likes

This is super cool! I want to look this up!

Privacy & Terms