My take on the grabbing system

Ok, the problems I see are that A. we have to be close enough to pick up the chair, B. We have to make sure we’re facing the chair when we pick it up, and C. The chair must behave organically when we pick it up.

My idea is to have a collider with the chair, if the player is touching that collider then condition A is satisfied.

For condition B, I would place a trigger volume in the centre of the chair, then determine if the player is looking at the chair by seeing if any rays cast from the players camera collide with that trigger volume? It’s some kinda Unreal magic I don’t know how to use yet.

When the chair is officially picked up, I would make it a child of the default pawn, and I think that makes it so that if the pawn moves, the chair will as well. The rotation will be tricky I think. Also, I have to make sure that as the player turns around, the chair maintains the same rotation, it doesn’t rotate strangely. I also have to make sure that if the playr looks at the ground, the chair gets dropped off.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms