My Solution for - Choosing a sphere Bowling Ball

Here is my choice for a bowling ball.

I chose 0.94BU for the radius of the sphere at the operator panel

My rationale for the approach is according to this google reference, a bowling ball is almost half the length of a pin (the top of the ball slightly below the nick area of the pin)

So what I did is I devided the maximum hight of the pin in blender unit (3.8) by 2.

i.e 3.8/2 = 1.9 BU

to get the diameter of the sphere in BU. I halved out this number further to obtain the sphere radius

1.9 / 2 = 0.95 BU

which was used to define the size of the sphere at the operator panel right after I added the mesh (with Icosphere being my choice)

To get a visual indication I was in the right track I created the sphere against the pin as a reference in ortho view, manipulated the Z and Y axis to stack the ball against the Pin imagining as though its about to hit it in real life against the balling ball vs pin image reference. And the result looks consistent so far…

As for the scaling if I did the math correctly I believe it will be

Bowling ball diameter in blender / Bowling ball diameter in real world

1.9 / 21.83 = 0.0870361 (the precise number I got using Windows Calculator is shown here)

I believe its relatively safe to roudn it to 0.086

Testing this scale by multiplying it with the actual bowling ball sphere in real world (and for simplicity sake I taken the 21.83 from wikipedia)

21.83 x 0.09 = 1.9647

Which is a bit over the actual size of my sphere by 0.0647. but if I am to round it to 1.96 that is not too bad. so I think I am pretty consistent with a minor margin of error which shouldn’t be too much of a worry since actually a bawling ball hight is a bit below the neck area of the Pin. and given that the diameter has a range, and overall the ball size proportion to the pins is reasonable in the blender scene hopefully the accuracy is my scaling is in the acceptable range

Hopefully I am getting better hang of the scaling concept. plz feel free to correct me if I still didnt’ get it quite right.

Thanks in advance. I will post update to this post as I create the whole and see if I can try to test it in Unity3D

1 Like

Thanks for going into detail about how you scaled your ball :wink:

Privacy & Terms