My queen

If any one looked at the reference, the Queen’s crown has 10 spikes! That is what I did several lessons ago. Then I didn’t know about Mesh analysis and had several troubles… But I solved them. Even without that function, just manually.

Well but I completed the conventional task too. It is simple but bold.

So what do you think?

3 Likes

I just bevelled the top vertices of the “crown” part in order to turn it into something like the picture then decided to take liberties with the model… I then removed all the ngons I could notice and added edges to make the nonplanar surfaces created in the dents.

1 Like

Hi,

It took me quite a lot of time to figure out how to construct my queen the way I wanted it to be, with all the quads being planar.

Here is the final result:

Chess piece Queen-LP-spikes

434 Tris.
The hardest part was getting the quads of the top of the crown to be planar. It took me around 1H to figure it out :sweat: (I had to move the “inside” vertices of spikes along the Z axis to some .0~something~ B.U.)

And as @Human_Planet_Studio said:

So I tried to do it as a training:

Yay !:+1:

Cheers !

1 Like

My LP Queen :slight_smile: While trying it out, I accidentally softened the points and liked the look it gives; life flower petals? I am also going off of different reference…

2 Likes

I wanted to show that I kept the outside planar:

1 Like

1 Like

Alrighty, so for this challenge I didn’t want to create any Ngons, so what I ended up doing where extruding two outer edges of the crown, but separately so I would get the vertices separated so I could merge them into some nice planes. It wasn’t the most efficient way of doing it, but it worked. In the end I could use some nice scaling going from the center so make some nice planes of the outer part of the crown.

It’s not the most exciting design, but it took some thinking to make it work =)

2 Likes

I really wanted to keep that rounded part of the crown preserved so I kept the spikes pretty simple. I used subdivide on the front and back of the sections making up the flared portion. I then deleted each face one at a time and extruded the vertices from the sides to the center before adding a new face. Time consuming, but it worked (I hope).

1 Like

I almost regretted my decision to do everything high poly, I spent about an hour rebuilding the geometry. Thankfully, I think it turned out pretty good.

1 Like

Did the crown a bit differently from the video. I just deleted the vertical edges on the crown, and rotated the loop on top by 22.5 degrees, then remade the edges.

I got my Queen’s crown the way I wanted it. I went back to a copy where the edge of the crown wasn’t joined like the instructor had it. I knew about the Knife tool and I had a plan of how I wanted to use it when I had the chance.

Finally I understand the meaning of using triangles, quads, and avoiding n-gons

Hey all, here is my finished Queen, really tried to emphasise the spikes while keeping the “look” intact :slight_smile:

My version of the Queen

I wanted to keep some width to the crown, based on the reference material I was using. I split the edges around the top using subdivide, then individually translated the new edges along their normal Z axis. To remove the Ngons, I went back in, deleting the faces that had been affected, and putting new tri and quad faces back in.

The results:

3 Likes

Did it slightly differently and got the adjacent faces planar by selecting the two faces and scaling their local z axis to 0. Didn’t get any side-effects but this maybe luck more than anything.

And the edges
queens%20Edge

Wow this is quite a long thread. I’d like to know after 2 years down to 3d modelling, how are you guys faring? I’m quite new in to this.

Looks awesome :slight_smile:

Here is the crown of my low poly queen. A bit different from the solution in the course.

lecture%2099%20-%20crown%20of%20low%20poly%20queen%202019-01-12

Privacy & Terms