My Pyramid, all made with Geometry Nodes

My pyramid!
No modeling involved.

Entirely created with geometry nodes.

How to make a simple modeling task a nightmare! :rofl:

I started out myself then in searching for help after finding there is no inset node, came across a tutorial making this or his version anyway. It is not great to follow, but manageable. I have messed it up a bit by making the stairs rails and they do not scale as the steps do.
Far more difficult than it ought to be imo. Perhaps his way is not the best?
Learnt a bit about them I suppose. Certainly got used to general node aspects like renaming nodes, which I think is very useful, frame making, group making, and rerouting noodles which have never bedded in my old brain previously for shader nodes.

Without the rails, it is possible to change the main step numbers and the stair quantity, and it all stays together, matching.

This is the tutorial if you want to give it a go!
I worked out how not to have his sloping sides.

Render

8 Likes

This is way cool! Nice one! And you made both the seven-stepped and the eight-stepped one, too :smiley:

Nodes scare me, and the fact they made geometry nodes only scares me more xD - I’ll have to give this a try, though!

(However, I am not making a top for it xD).

Really awesome idea to try geometry nodes on this assignment :smiley:

1 Like

Any, lower number of steps you like, it breaks down going more as the top gets too small and even eventually inverts.

I took off (muted) my rails addition to show these other step counts, plus a Z scaled object for that back taller version. But the stairs stay in place and match each one by themselves. You can change the quantity of stairs too, so lots of small ones or fewer larger ones like the front 2 step pyramid, I made fewer stairs to get up. With a few clicks, change a count value.

Oh and It is only a value change to get the steps sloping like the tutorial one.

5 Likes

That’s awesome! I also started learning geo nodes just recently :slight_smile: Still haven’t figure out what can I do with them better or faster (aside from variations) than with standard modelling though :thinking:

2 Likes

They are great for replacing hair particles at scattering things about like grass and plants.
Been working on that use of them too.

Made a rope that you can just draw where you want it to go with the curve draw tool too. Not that convinced that is any much better than just following a curve the normal way.

These pyramids are more like modeling the very hardest way possible! :rofl: It is probably more like programing and maths, effectively you are creating a bespoke modifier. Well, any geo node group is in effect that. You can add the bits you want to have varying control over, to a socket that then shows up in the geo node modifier. So such variations can be done without touching the ‘workings’ directly.

I am not at all convinced they are any use or purpose for modeling. OK so you could make, a temple making modifier. To let any user just dial in the sizes and shapes you make it possible to alter. If you want a temple, just the one, it would be far far easier to model it than make this sort of node set up.

2 Likes

I haven’t played with Geom Nodes yet, but have been wondering about them enough that I just might try it. Especially since I never quite liked the way my Pyramid came out the first time I tried it, especially making the stairs.

Thanks for the link to the tutorial @NP5 as I’m definitely going to bookmark it.

3 Likes

Ah, but that things I can do easy on game engine side (and could forever). It’s great addition for scene building in Blender though! I think even Blender Guru updated his Donut tutorial and uses geo nodes to place sprinkles on top of donut :smiley:

Yes, that’s what I’m thinking… But I’m sure there are things that from game-dev perspective are useful, just can’t figure them out atm. Maybe I should watch some Houdini tutorials as that software is on the market way longer… so they give me some ideas :thinking:

and btw… what I found just recently: https://altermesh.com/

Do it! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But variations is exactly what they are good for, though? With the right node-setup, you could essentially populate your entire level.

This is a seriously fascinating use of the geometry nodes:

With this one node-setup, he’s got all the rundown houses he would ever need for a post-apoc setting, a war zone, or an abandoned disaster area.

Privacy & Terms