My pins & bowling ball Plus suggestion

Learning a lot of useful skills, thank you!

Quick note; when it was mentioned to be in blender render after adding materials, this wasn’t optimal. Having my defaults set to cycles as most topics and support articles/videos favor cycles render it would be useful to place a very quick notes at the beginning of that course about this to ensure work isn’t needing to being redone. Really no complaints with the course, the lessons has been great!

2 Likes

Good work Aaron,

I personally hate Blender Render and do everything in Cycles. If you know how to use Cycles, then just watch what they do in terms of Blender Render and then use Cycles instead.

1 Like

Cycles looks much better yeah, but I think this course suggests that we don’t go into rendering stuff at this point, all about it will be explained later in full (I hope)

2 Likes

Sam

You’re right, to follow the course and not to get too much into cycles at he moment. I just ended up learning about cycles before I could even draw in Blender as I am using it as just a render engine for models created in SketchUp.
When you do start to get to grips with Cycles, you’ll see it’s so much better, and also the Blender Render engine has stopped being developed, so it will never improve your drawings, but the developers leave it in because some people still like to use it.
Andrew Price from ‘Blender Guru’ does some great tutorials on YouTube. Worth checking them out.

1 Like

I know about his stuff, but like all other tutorials, they are not connected and there is no true step-by-step tutorial on YT, this is why we are here. I will learn every other tutorial I need after this course.
That being said I actually think they should really add some basic tutorial after modelling Mayan pyramid. Most people are trying to render their success anyway before posting on forum, and things rendered in Cycles look really sweet, even when they are primitive. Gives that powerful feeling of what how you can do really nice things in 3D programs. I was quite amazed when I used it for the first times.

1 Like

He does do good tutorials, but like you say, but only on certain topics. Like you, I’m going through this then will focus on the ones I would use the most. His house one is good, but sometimes he assumes you know stuff a bit too much, so I tend to skim through and make a note of bits that are relevant.

This is a good course though so far!

1 Like

Yeah, I seen his tutorials before taking this course and didn’t figured a way to learn through them with my skill level. And while looking different videos there always been this annoying advertisement
"Your drawing would look great in 3D"
And just thought: “why not?” All the other courses are just 6-8 hours, and I been learning Maya for few days ago(before I figured all autodesk stuff is ****) in 6 hours of lessons there I learned almost nothing. And here is this whole 48-hours course just for 10 bucks :sunglasses:
I hate autodesk stuff, they charge tons of money for nothing, their software takes much more space on disk, and funny thing is it glitches much more than blender. I actually had once my videocard overheating with just a few cubes on th scene, it even takes 3-5 longer time just to launch the program.

1 Like

Funny! I did exactly the same due to the ‘annoying advert’, ****** works !

I have always used SketchUp to draw 3D models, and was struggling to find a really good, affordable render engine to accompany it without having to learn a whole new programme to draw in. After trying, Kerkithya, Lumina, SU Podium, and Vray, I tried Blender, but annoyingly never took it too serious as I thought how could free software be any good? But after trying various things with the Cycles engine I was hooked! And next they will be releasing v2.8 with the EEVIE render engine which in my opinion is head & shoulders above the likes of C4D & 3DS Max.

So I’m doing this course to learn the various techniques of actually modelling in Blender, so that when I import my SketchUp models into it I can either just render them out, add to the model with Blender assets and hopefully in time just use Blender altogether.

1 Like

I plan to do my own 3D videos. I’ve been fascinated with blender ever since I found out about it. A free program that has everything I need for modelling, animation, rendering and movie editing in one package, wonderfull. And I seen what people do with it, much better stuff than SFM animations, equal to stuff made in other 3D programs, although it highly depends on skill of the artist himself so it not so easy to judge. Hope that new render engine will be faster. I’m looking forward to see the new “noise remove” tool in 2.79 That thing will definitely speed up rendering.
I spent about 30+ hours in Blender, it never even crashed once, and performance is flawless, student version of Maya crashed at least few times in 10 hours. I don’t plan to be professional 3D modelist, I want to work on my own projects and pe supported via Patreon so the choice is obvious.

1 Like

Im currently using the denoise tool in Blender v2.79. You can download that build now from the main Blender website. It is amazing and it does save so much time when rendering, and this build version does seem to render faster.
I’m here just going through the chess tutorial and have just realised that when you’re looking through the camera view, box select an area in your view, and go into rendered view, then you can get a good preview of your rendered object, and still use the edit mode before going into a full render. I love it! Mike Wright
Production Design / Art Direction07832 268938www.mikewrightdesign.com

1 Like

Privacy & Terms