My Obstacle Course Game

Took me a month and a bit to make but here is my obstacle course game called Cheese Run.

You can download or play it on the browser via the link to the game’s itch io page. Hope you guys enjoy! :+1:

8 Likes

looks really good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh my! Sir! This is awesome! Your tenacity to produce this is huge. I’m so glad to be connected to this community and see things like this. It pushes me to focus on my own obstacle course and make it worthy of an Itch.io release. These things are what game studio employers want to see on a portfolio site for sure.

Can you tell us a bit about the process for making this? Did you go through the whole 3d Unity course first and then come back to focus on improving the obstacle course?

1 Like

Hi there subwave, thanks for the reply and very kind words!

I actually started using Unity a couple of years ago. I would make some landscapes and play around with different things in the software in my spare time. However, over the years, I felt a lack of confidence in completing projects due to seeing what others had made on youtube and seeing how good their programming was. I would also constantly look at youtube videos on how to do certain things without putting them into practice.

Thats why recently I wanted to change that mindset and so, for the past 2 years, when I would get the chance, I would make/publish games on itch.io to improve my game development skills. I can honestly say that even after a few years of using Unity, I’m still not the best programmer in the world :sweat_smile:, but it still didn’t stop me from trying to make games.

I took this course to see if I could get any tips on further increasing my game-making skills and also connect with the great community here on game dev.tv. I’m currently on the project boost section of the course so things are going great at the moment!

The best thing that I learned from making games is that you don’t have to be the best programmer, the best artist or even the most skilled game developer. If you have the determination and the passion to complete a project, no matter how skilled you are or how long it takes (in the case of this game, a little over a month :sweat_smile:), you can still hopefully make a decent game. :+1:

Hope this helps and thanks once again :+1: :grin:

3 Likes

Definitely lots of good advice, thank you so much for that. “Have determination and passion to complete a project.” That speaks volumes to me, really it does. Mostly because I think as game designers or artists our imaginations can go so much faster than our limited ability to make things happen in the game engine, so there’s that level of friction where, like you said, you just have to not be tempted to start new projects all the time and really work on finishing them. Thank you! Good words.

And also the community on here has been amazing! Everyone is so supportive. And its easy to get inspired being around lots of creative people who are also kind of starting out. Its a good place to learn from each other and encourage each other. So, super thanks! Look forward to seeing what you do with the rocket boost project! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks great, love some of the little touches like the balloons, floating clouds, island and such.

1 Like

Would love to try it but seems the version on your Itch.io page is Windows only :cry:

1 Like

Hi tarasis, thanks for your reply!

No worries, I got you covered. :wink: Just want clarify, what operating system are you currently using to run the game on and also are you able to run the game on your browser?

I just uploaded a Mac build on itch if you want to test that out, unless your on Linux in which case I can happily make a Linux build for you to play on. Unfortunately, I don’t currently have access to a Mac or Linux system to test the game out on, but hopefully it should run without too much difficulty.

Many thanks for the kind words as well! :+1: :grin:

Fair point, I forgot to clarify that I was on a Mac (silicon). Will grab and try it out :slight_smile:

1 Like

It does work on the Mac, although I had to uncompress it with BetterZip, rather than macOS’s Archive App for it to work. Not sure why.

That music adds compulsiveness and desperation to the game; good choice!

1 Like

Hi tarasis,

Thanks for the kind words! Sorry to hear about that issue. Hopefully one day I can borrow someone’s Mac so I can make games better for the platform. Glad you enjoyed it :+1: :grin:

Privacy & Terms