My obstacle course: A leeching Tumbleweed

Hey everybody,

this is my spin on the obstacle course. I’ve already finished the whole course a couple years back, but realized that I didn’t keep much of what I learned. So, this time, I decided to actually try a little harder and make each game more interesting. As I’m also interested in Blender, I also tried to make it look decent :slight_smile: Obviously, the game is about a lone tumbleweed trying to grow by absorbing life from other plants while trying to avoid cacti and falling rocks.

I pretty much followed the tutorial but had to use AddForce instead of Translate to make the tumbleweed actually tumble. I also played around with a little Post Processing.

Gameplay, as in making it hard, was not really my focus for this one. I had enough problems with exporting from blender and making it look good.

Let me know what you think! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

really really like this, looks like fun!

would you mind explaining how you got your prefab/grouped plants to change colour when they’re hit? i’ve tried adding rigidbodies, colliders, mesh renderers and ObjectHit.cs to each object in the prefab, but nothing’s worked so far. thanks!

Hi!
The only thing the plants need - beside the MeshRenderer which is already there - is a collider (in my case a simple box collider). They also have a script attached, with an OnCollisionEnter method.

private void OnCollisionEnter(Collision other)
    {
        if(other.gameObject.tag == "Player")
        {
            GetComponent<MeshRenderer>().material.color = new Color32(112, 54, 45, 255);
            gameObject.tag = "Untagged"; //with this the plant can only "die" once and the player can only grow once with the same plant
        } 
    }

The player needs to be tagged as “Player”.

That should be all you need :slight_smile:

This is beautiful!

Instead of having to go from A to B in the level, you’ve made it so that the goal of the game is to become as big as possible without dying. This is definitely a neat change in pace compared to what was in the lectures. I also liked the western theme you’ve implemented as well!

The only feedback I can give is that you should add a timer to inform the player that they should hurry to get all of the plants (if you’re planning on making it more challenging that is). You could also have the player be able to rotate the camera to help them find hidden plants, such as the one at the south wall of the map. Otherwise, I think this is a great game you’ve made!

I haven’t started with the blender course yet so I can’t import any models to Unity, but I can tell that it’s a lot of hard work to go through. Great job! Good luck with the rest of your projects!

Cheers for the feedback! :slight_smile:

I like the suggestions, I was thinking the same, but I had no idea on how to implement such an “overlay”. Ill try to use it for the next level - project boost - or whenever this will be explained in the lectures.

Import from Blender is not hard once you get used to the workflow :wink:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms