My low poly dragon - current progress

I tried hand retopoing for a couple days but kind of lost my way on how to do the wings. The vertices were jumping around all over the place and wouldn’t stick to where I wanted them, and that was after trying various shrinkwrap and snapping options. I finally decided on just decimating the model and it seems to have done an OK job, it even handles the multi-res OK so I’m going to stick with it for now.

4 Likes

Ok, it seems like using a decimated model for the base was a mistake. I can no longer add any more detail to the tail end of my model. Guess I’ll try using instant meshes to create a proper quad topological model. Lesson learned!

4 Likes

Ok, I had to inflate the wings a bit as I was getting holes in the final mesh from instant meshes, I also used a decimate/unsubdivide once to make the model a little more light and then put the multi-res modifier on it and I was able to subdivide it up to level 5! Not sure if my poor little potato PC can handle it, but we’ll see. So far, so good though! I’m able to detail the entire model! There’s not much now but I’ll keep working on it tomorrow.

5 Likes

Great looking dragon.

1 Like

Thank you very much! And thanks to Grant Abbit for such a great class! :smiley:

Here’s the current progress. I had a lot of trouble sculpting around the eye area. I’m guessing maybe a less detailed head without an already modeled eye-socket and possibly horn and other details would be friendlier for experimentation. You can always pull a horn out and detail it while sculpting in multires, I think it would apply to the back flaps as well. It would make for easier retopologizing too. I also found some strange vertex stretching as I began detailing at higher levels which could have resulted from just bad or weird topology that came up during the first detailing stages before going multi-res. Keep things super simple at the beginning, and then you can add the detail in the multi-res steps.

6 Likes

Good alpha texturing.

May be a bit late in the process but should his feet be smaller than the hands? Big dragon standing on those little feet.

1 Like

big hands

1 Like

Good point! I’ll see if I can resize them in object mode.

1 Like

You know what they say about a dragon with big hands!

Ok, I resized both the hands and feet. The model is starting to shoot vertices everywhere so I’m going to have to be careful.

2 Likes

I quite like the big hands it made your dragon look a bit different. Sometimes in art it’s the inperfections that make a character. Look at Ardmans Walace and Gromit for example.

2 Likes

Now the dragon looks amazing. Great work. Have fun dude!!

2 Likes

Here’s my painted dragon! I noticed I still had a mirror modifier on the low poly so I applied it. I didn’t notice until later while I was painting that I have some double-fingers on the feet, but I’m just going to leave it as is, it’s hardly noticeable and I’ll scratch it up as being a noob. I’ll avoid this mistake on the next attempt.

4 Likes

Ok! It took me a while but I decided to make my own cliffside using the same sculpting and baking techniques, that’s about the only original thing here though. Anyway, here’s my final render!

4 Likes

Wow. Amazing work dude. Looks awesome.Great looking dragon and background.

1 Like

Thanks, Chris! It’s got a ton of little problems but thankfully the distance hides them! xD

Good work making your own rock. Actually better than just downloading one.

Good render.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms