My knights: comparing one I made before and the Mirror model

I got ahead of myself before and made the chess pieces without waiting for the right lesson. So I have the one I did on my own and the one made with mirror modeling. I’m not sure which one I like better. The first one I made seems to match the set I’m using for reference better plus I put an eye in it. Maybe I’d like the mirror model one better if I put an eye in it too.

Reference set.
contemporary chess set by Italfama screen shot

6 Likes

That’s the fun of Blender.
To create your own design and present your way of thinking.
Be consistent in the choices you make.
Nothing wrong with some experimentation.

It’s fine and good to have your own design ambitions.

However.
at least to me.
The point of doing such a course is to learn the tools and methods of how first. This subject, a chess set, was clearly chosen to teach a series of basic tools and ways Blender works. The first go through the entire course I would do exactly the basic suggested items, then secondly other creative ideas. Avoiding the classic knight, means you miss the experience of making it work. The flat sided Knight is easy. I worked in real world metal, that is why the reference set was done that way too! Any more organic shape would need time or different processes, like casting.

I am not trying to get at you, or anyone. I get the impression you are a beginner, wanting to learn the program.

I am myself playing with a new chess set, nothing like the lecture style, that I did do, the first time I did the original course. I honestly feel for learning it is better to stick to the classic set and lecture directed items. With more experience and more of the course under your belt, go for anything! Do not be tempted to go beyond the course due to seeing some works shown in here, or elsewhere. Frequently others have done the course before, or even know other similar software for years. That will be you in due time!

I agree. I plan on going back and doing the “regular” style chess pieces to do all the learning I can. Not knowing what was involved, and why, I just looked for a chess set I liked the look. Kim a much more modern/sleek kind of person instead of traditional. Maybe I need to temporarily put that aside to optimize learning.

Sigh. I just don’t like the look.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms