My initial notes for the tank game

Initial notes

General info:

• I’ve played many tank games, but mostly Arma 3, where the tank operation is pretty simplistic, but great fun.
  • A simple shooter like control scheme is possibly enough.
  • Different from FPS though, the tank has a body and turret, and moving the mouse moves the turret, but WASD moves the body of the tank.
  • In FPV there should be an UI element to indicate the angle of the turret relative to the tank body.
  • In the case of modern tanks, the gun and turret should be stabilized.
  • Reload times are rather lengthy, which would be something the player has to learn to take into account and use.
  • The tanks should have different hit zones i.e the front armor would be more resilient to … penetration … and the rear armor would be the weakest.

Movement:

• There should be two different thrust points, one for each track.
  • If forward and backwards movements are achieved by pressing W or S, then for turning A or D are applied, but A for left turn reduces the thrust produced by the left track and vice versa, whilst moving forward.
  • When reversing with S, A also reduces the negative thrust for the left track and vice versa.
  • When the Tank is stationary or W or S is not pressed, pressing A applies negative thrust to the left track and, vice versa again.
  • The tank should be able to sideslip, or drift, depending on the surface - basically the tank should behave according to its inertia, thrust of tracks and traction of the surface all the time - great fun. No on-the-rails monkey business.
  • TANK MUST MAKE NOISE!

Features of the game:

• The enemy AI has to maneuver and fire in a challenging manner, but not too perfectly.
  • Very noisy audio effects for firing and hits and also visual effects.
  • Firing should produce recoil, add some impulse of the tank.
  • Sound effect for indicating the end of reloading.
  • Terrain that provides cover opportunities.
  • Objects in the terrain that are soft cover.
  • Defensive smoke system that can be engaged a few times tactically.
1 Like

Privacy & Terms