My Goals

Hello! I’m a professional back-end developer coming from the Java side of the dev world. Been looking to break into the games industry for a while now, but never really had the time or means until recently (Argentina and its economy it’s all over the place, as we sadly grew used to).
Did some of the introductory courses on Udemy, got a couple of bundles here and it’s been awesome so far.
My big ambition would be to create something akin to League of Legends in the future, but with the nice and realistic graphics that can be achieved using Unreal.
Other ideas might be single-player Action-RPGs along the lines of Nier or similar…
I hope to grow enough to find a place in the industry, no matter the size (AAA or indie), and really start doing what I truly love.

2 Likes

Hi there and welcome to the community.

If this is your first time with Unreal Engine, this course isn’t for beginners and you may struggle with some of the work as it’s an intermediate level course. You are expected to know how Unreal Engine works. Saying that, if you do have a programming background you may just get away with it if you following Using Unreal Engine 4 rather than 5.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the course.

Hello again! Thanks for the response! Yes, I do have some background on UE, i did the introductory course here on GameDevTv before this one and found it really good.
I’m following along just fine for now with UE5, but in case something is off I do have UE4 around.

Thanks again!!

1 Like

There are quitea few differences in section 4, even with ue4. 25 or later and in section 2 or 3 I think, you may hit an issue with the menus where a call to a Super is missing.

Other than that, the materials are still relevant for UE5. If you have issues building steamworks, watch the video but skip as it is no longer needed but interesting to see.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Hey! I know this post is a couple weeks old, but if you haven’t heard of it, maybe check out the game Paragon. It shut down years back, but I think you might be able to find some inspiration there. Epic Games actually developed it. Happy learning :slight_smile:

The paragon assets are a staple when experimenting and you need a good set of characters complete with animations. There was an issue with them for UE5 for a while because of the inputs defined for UE4 and changed for the third person template in UE5 thus needing intervention - this may be fixed. I don’t think they’ve been updated to use the new input system.

The assets are used as part of the Unreal C++ course and the Cinematics course as well.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms