My goals

Hi everyone, I’ve been a hobbyist programmer for over ten years (as well as done a Computer Science degree) and always wanted to make games that I can be proud of and share with people, hopefully to become either an indie developer or join an indie/gaming company.

I’m relatively new to Unreal but having completed the “Lean C++ and Make Video Games” course I’ve found myself really enjoying and clicking with Unreal.

I’ve been very into the Dark Souls series for the past year so my ultimate goal is to hopefully create a session-based, co-op Dark Souls-esque, randomised multiplayer dungeon crawler game that combines the skill of Dark Souls with the co-operative nature of an MMO. Although this is of course, extremely ambitious!

2 Likes

Welcome to the course. Hope you enjoy it.

1 Like

Love the idea! I realize this post is a few months old, but do you think that getting a computer science degree helped you to become significantly better at programming and is helping with your current endeavors to create games? I’m about to start college and my goal is to become a game developer, but I have decided to go for a computer science degree. I’d be interested to hear about your experience.

Depends on where you are doing the degree but mostly they teach you how to think about solutions. I learned when low level programming was still very common (assembler and the likes) but mostly what were taught was academic and little to no use in the real world. The main takeaway for me was how to solve things in a correct way. The real learning was after I graduated from people with experience.

Like I said it all depends on the university you attend as to what they teach.

Most graduates these days get taught java and maybe a bit of game Dev too as I saw a lot of CVs where they had used unity to create a mini project for their end of course project.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms