My final version of the corridor (with the barrel)

Since i like to experiment when completing sections of courses, I’ve made the puddle using MBalls (of type plane), it got a bit tricky because i couldn’t set the material to work, and what happens is that all of the objects must have the same main name. Then the material has to be in the first Mball added.

In example, i have Mball, Mball.001, Mball.002 (last 2 are duplicated objects), the material goes into the “Mball” named object, and only into that one. Once learned how that worked, this is the result.

Maybe the puddle is too bright but I’ve ended up liking the color flair, so I’m calling that a “happy accident” :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated! :smiley:
Oh and the barrels… I’ll be reusing them in the future probably for my games (the model shape/UVs), so made them with a 16-face circumference.

1 Like

Here’s one with a less emissive puddle, which one do you like the most?

I think I prefer the first for better light to see by. Still gloomy but brighter than usual.

The barrel limited verts is showing rather, but you have a reason behind that.

I did a puddle of chemical too but not glowing. Just manipulated a cube thin and reshaped.

2 Likes

Looks spooky! :slight_smile:

I prefere the darker one :smiley:

But I remeber you experimenting with adding smoke/fog… did you scrap this idea? if not, than maybe first add it as it should affect the overall feel of the scene.

Thanks to the input @NP5 :smiley:

I can’t now but tomorrow I’ll do a render with a subdivision modifier added to the barrels, which should make them look more smooth. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Hello, and thank you for the feedback :smiley:

I’m sorry about the smoke part but I don’t think that was me :frowning:
It would be a awesome addition to the render with sort of fumes coming up from the puddle, so I’ll keep that in mind if I revisit this once I learn more (and test if my PC does not explode processing that :joy: )

Basically my main aim with blender is not to do renders, but to use it to make my game’s models (I’d guess that my pc with 12gb of ram wouldn’t do too good with complex scenes, specially if there’s any fluid simulations).

2 Likes

Oh, sorry that I confused you with another student :frowning:

Blender is quite efficient and should be able to handle things like smoke and fluid sim on lower-end hardware too! The simulation times will be longer though… But you don’t need to do full sims even. You can fake those things like in game engines in Blender too! :slight_smile:

But if you are focusing on making models for your game… maybe consider doing what I did (though I ended up doing loads of renders too :blush: ) and use game engine from the get go to do renders. That takes a bit more time, esp. first time, but already puts you in a mindset (and experimenting with workflow!) of asset creation. My basic workflow was 1) do what course showed 2) test the final scene 3) move to game engine and play around in there. It was quite for me doing it that way.

1 Like

Thank you for the tips for game dev, and no worries about the confusion! :smiley:

To keep it short, this is a scrap pc which due to bad luck practically blew up at the time (power surge + bad manufacturing/psu). The only surviving part was the CPU (i7-3770) and one of the HDDs, it even killed at the time my recently bought and brand new 970 :rofl:

Basically due to that even if it took me quite some time, I’ve fully fixed it with scrap parts: a motherboard and gpu (980ti).

Edit: added the link to my pic of the GPU when I’ve been repairing it, disassembled.

1 Like

ah, that’s bad…

Though 980ti is nothing to frown upon, even today :). I just looked at benchmarks in Blender - they look quite good!

And I looked at local prices for used 980ti… it’s crazy (around the same price I bought 1080ti in 2018!)

1 Like

Yeah, but even if it was the flaw (being a scrap part), it presented me the opportunity for what became quite a upgrade (once fixed), so i couldn’t be any more happy about that.

By the way, a note to anyone reading this: not as easy as it sounds, it took me 3+ years locating affordable/in good enough condition parts.
And while recycling parts getting them to work and all of that sounds cool, for GPUs it’s sketchy nowadays due to mining… so for GPUs i can not recommend it, specially if not knowledgeable about what to look out for.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms