My final High Poly Chess set

Hey all, this is my first post, I just wanted to share with you my final chess set, I wanted to push myself to create a high poly set just so I could understand the workflow of working with more detailed models, I struggled the most on the Knight and I would like some advice on how to go about that for future tasks, but I’m very happy with my creation :D! and I hope you all like them too, All criticisms welcome!

1 Like

The is easy to upgrade a pawn to a high poly version. But there is no need. Blender can do that for you!
The knight is different in this. Different skills are needed. Practice more! Do small projects and use references.

Start small, low poly rough model shaping. Use a reference three-four sides …
Add more topology using loop cuts, shape the model more …
Add more details by adding more topology using loop cuts, shape the model more and more …
This takes practice and some insight on dissection of reference model into Blender vertices, loops and faces.

2 Likes

Welcome to this site.

A good first chess set. Already looks relatively high poly. See others.
Yes the knight introduces you to real control and shape creation of non basic regular to organic shapes.

1 Like

Nice chess set, interesting camera shots!

The knight is the hardest one of all the pieces. Many of us here struggled with it. I certainly did :sweat_smile:. As FedPete said - looking at references is the key. For me it helped looking at images of horses heads, not only chess pieces… and feedback received here on the forum also was really, really helpful.

I also went with high poly chess, but just recently I realized that learning how to model low poly is really useful to improve also high poly. The key to modeling is to capture the form, proportions and size of the thing you try to model - and with low poly it’s easier to spot (and correct!) mistakes. When you have ‘perfect’ low poly object you can go ‘deeper’ and add more details with additional verts.

Welcome to the community!

1 Like

Thankyou so much for the comments and appreciation everyone :slight_smile: I’m definitely going to be revisiting the knight in the future, I feel it will be my challenge to fully learn how to properly model and grasp the topology!

Here’s to more amazing lessons

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms