My extended LaserDefender with timer based powerups

Hi,
This is my version of Laser Defender with some extra’s:

• After 2 waves of the default enemy a new enemy is introduced, it fires faster and takes more damage.
  • A health bar, which is actually just an image I’m moving in the x axis to the left, so it moves out of view. There’s probably a much better way to do a health bar so I’m looking forward to how other students approached this.
  • timer based powerups, every 10 seconds a green powerup is randomly spawned. If the player catches it creates a shield on the players position that can take 5 shots of damage
  • after the wave with the new enemy starts, every 20 or so seconds a red “power down” is randomly spawned. If the player catches this, the enemies firepower doubles, for now permanently.

Game webGL version is playable here: http://gamebucket.io/game/4c1fc5a4-bd02-42f9-a08c-08db23179a4d

Code is available on GitHub: https://github.com/zadda/Laser-Defender

Good fun!

I found the unlimited ammo took some of the challenge out as I just held down space and dodged. Maybe have alternate fire modes so that holding down space gives you a slow but steady rate of fire, and triple-tapping space gives you a rapid fire burst?

Potential for more powerups too - shields, etc. Nice one.

Yeah, nice job. This barrier / shield doesn’t fit to the rest of the environment but I understand it’s hard to make your own sprites. I have the same problem in my products. Keep going. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback to the both of you :slight_smile:

You are right it’s not that much of a challenge now and I think the idea of alternate fire modes is good and something I’d like to implement at a later time. Same for the unlimited ammo, could be limited or based on score or something.

The shield indeed doesn’t really fit into the style it’s basically just a brick from my block breaker game I re-used. Graphics aren’t really my thing but I should be able to come up with something a bit cleaner, more fitting.

Well done!

Feels smooth overall! The power ups move a bit too fast for my liking but great job!

Thanks for the feedback! I kinda just put a value for the speed of the powerups, so it could definetely use some more finetuning.

It’s a bit tricky I suppose, on the one hand it may not be too easy, on the other hand you must be able to catch them. I did think about making the red one a bit faster, I wanted that one a bit harder to avoid catching as it increases difficulty. May be an idea to set the speed of the powerups on the players score and make it gradually more difficult.

Privacy & Terms