My Dell Inspiron running Ubuntu crashes while in the Unreal editor

My configuration is core i5 11th gen 8 cores with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD drive. I’m running Ubuntu as my primary OS and while playing around with the unreal editor without doing anything crazy, my cpu is maxing out and the entire laptop just shuts down. There’s absolutely no debugging I can do or log I can fetch because the laptop literally turns off! Has anyone else experienced something similar? I’m deeply concerned about how I could possibly continue with the course if my laptop is unable to handle an editor window for the bull cow game.

Could be heat related. You could try running a torture test (there’s software that can do that) and see if it lasts an hour or even 10 minutes. If it doesn’t have a problem then your computer’s hardware is fine which is always great to know anyway.

This one I can recommend as its apparently for Linux also GIMPS - Free Prime95 software downloads - PrimeNet but I have never used it on Linux since I have no need. You might need a different way for GPU torture.

It can be possible for the system logs to show what happened but it depends on if the freeze happens before or after that gets dumped to the system logs.

But I would say with that hardware that it could be heat related. If it is UE itself… it really shouldn’t be dragging down the whole thing.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms