My Crypt Raider showcase

Here’s my Crypt Raider showcase from the UE5 C++ course.
I deviated a little bit from the lesson, since Sam did say early on that we should have designed our own level, lol.

11 Likes

Looks great - well done!

Did you mess with the FOV settings by chance? It looks a bit wide to me but maybe that’s the default.

Thanks!
I didn’t touch anything actually, so it’s probably the default.

This is amazing! Can I ask how you got the gargoyle statue to snap into place like that?

1 Like

I did it by using a set actor location I believe lol.
And making sure you can’t pick it up again once it’s been set.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Haha, I would like to add, this is what I ‘did’ back then, but it’s not the best way to do it.
For starters, it was setting the actor location every tick, which was very inefficient, you should disable its tick or at the very least make it a boolean check after you’ve set it in place.

And the second part is, if you use ‘Set Actor Location’, you kind of have to manually set where the statue needs to be relative to the pedestal, but there are much better and easier ways to do this. For example make something else it can anchor to, a component or something. (Which was actually my initial plan, but I couldn’t be asked to figure it all out while SetActorLocation was faster for me at that time lmao).

1 Like

So, I’ve been having another problem that I can’t seem to find an answer to. Were you having problems with the version 1.2 error? The only way I’ve found to do anything about it is to go into all of my .json files and manually change them to 1.1. Obviously, this is a huge hassle and has been slowing down my ability and want to continue learning.

I never had this kind of problem, it’s the first time I’ve heard of it. You’ll have to share a screenshot of what you actually mean by that. Or describe it a bit more.

OK! I always get a live compile build error because the .json files are being created with Version “1.2”, which the unreal engine doesn’t recognize. I have to open each .json file in VSC, and change that value to 1.1 or 1.0. These shots are from a different lesson I’m working on.

Version

That’s a bit overkill but if it works then roll with it. You can also just change the version of the MSVC toolchain you have installed. Refer to this post.

2 Likes

Thank you! This has been killing me! So once the 14.29 is installed, do I need to change anything in the buildconfiguration.xml before fully rebuilding?

Not with 14.29 according to @DanM.

If you want to use 14.30 as I did, you just need to paste this into your BuildConfiguration.xml under Engine/Saved/UnrealBuildTool:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Configuration xmlns="https://www.unrealengine.com/BuildConfiguration">
<WindowsPlatform>
<Compiler>VisualStudio2022</Compiler>
<CompilerVersion>14.30.30705</CompilerVersion>
</WindowsPlatform>
</Configuration>

I would avoid 14.31 because there was a compatibility warning posted about it on UDN. I’ve been running with 14.30 and haven’t had any issues so far but I imagine 14.29 will work just fine too.

2 Likes

Well done. :+1:

Can you point me toward stuff you learned while doing this? I love all that you did but some of this project is still confusing for me. I think I’ll have to rewatch some lectures. I often couldn’t tackle the challenges so I think I should dig deeper to help dial it in.

I originally imagined the gargoyle would slowly right itself when you pick it up. But I also think the gargoyle could snap onto the pedestal just like you did, have it sink 50 units or so, and then trigger a door to rotate open, also just like you did. Did you HAVE to make it unremovable to do this? I think I would prefer to keep them grabbable.

I made it unmovable in my case, but you CAN make it snap to the location and still make it movable.
It can be a bit tricky to wrap you head around on how you’re suppose to do this if you’ve never done it before, but there are several ways to achieve the effect you want. I don’t know the most efficient way of doing it though lol.

I’m loving the doors! Tried something similar but couldn’t it to work.

Tell us how to rotate the doors, please!
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

that is one heavy pot

Privacy & Terms