My bunnys and sculpting in Blender in Comparison to Sculptris

I love Blender but it seems to me a lot difficulter to sculpt than in sculptris.

For Comparison:

This unfinished portrait sketch I have made in Sculptris without references like photos or sketches out of my fantasy and it took me 50 minutes.

For the bunny I used reference material to look at, but I wasn´t able to sculp ist, because I haven´t got an efficient workflow in Blender/Sculpting (Dynotopo) . Two years ago I made some sculptings in blender with the multiresolution modifier and it went better… I have so much forgotten in Blender… ;(((( In Sculptris I haven´t got the same problem, because it is easier and more intuitive… I read Blender books and I remember some things while sculpting again after 2 years, that´s fine.

That are my “bunny trys”

First try, really bad, but that´s okay.

first%20try

bunny%20metaballs , and I will exercise and practise further on.

The second try

bunny%20metaballs%20neues%20modell%20genauer bunny%20sculpted%20with%20dyntopo

I have remembered a lot of things and shortcuts in blender sculpting, but I still have problems with the crease tool, a very important tool. It behaves like the pinch tool, and not in the way it should do.

1 Like

I find this a difficult tool too! So I use it sparely. But that is also the problem for me. I do not build up a lot of experience with the tool. And because of that I don’t use it. I see a lot of people doing a lot of amazing stuff, just using blender sculpt. Just in the way you do in Sculptris.
Maybe you can use both tools. Create in sculptris and render in Blender.

Happy rendering (modelling).

1 Like

Your bunny looks very nice! :slight_smile: Yes, that maybe a good solution to use both programs. :slight_smile: Sculptris is so much easier… In the next months I will learn zbrush, too. I have joined a course with mudbox, that was exciting, but it is an expensive program and if you have a teacher license you are not allowed to work with it in a commercial way. That´s the reason I like to return to blender and the other ones.

My Bunny was an happy accident!
The length of the hair was too long. So the whole model got a bit bulky. Resulting in a cute little bunny. The base model was a slim rabbit.

… it looks really so cute…:slight_smile:

I have used today another laptop to sculpt and I have found the solution. There is something wrong with the blender program settings on the laptop I used to work with… It has nothing to do with my modeling skills…:wink:

1 Like

my third bunny try… in sculptris

grafik

grafik

sculptris allows on my laptop only a low polygon count… so I have to finish in Sculptris at 95.000… Try to model further in Blender.

Looking sweet and coming along nicely…
Yea the sculpting takes a little getting used to, to get a decent seam showing I had to toggle the Dyntopo settings from subdivide collapse for creating a seam and increasing geometry, to subdivide edges when using the pinch (plus a little inflate before hand ) as this wouldn’t create new geometry and merely puff out what was there.

1 Like

Thanks OboShape for your encouraging, helpful comment and the interesting information about the Dyntopo settings. When I return to Blender I will have a look at.

At the moment I make my sculpting in Sculptris and after that I will import it to Blender as a Wavefront object. With simpler objects I will exercise in Blender again…

I have worked on the details on the upper sides of the bunny, the bunny face as a focal point… It is my first animal, normally I only sculpt human portraits, but it is a lot of fun to model animals.

I have worked on the details like the eyes, but now I will stop at this moment.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms