My Brief Review of this Section

First off, this section was no where near as complicated as the first section bulls and cows. Which made it easier for me to understand (not including the fact I have 3 years experience with blueprints) But I just wish there was more comparisons of what this blueprint looks like in code, and vice versa.

• you asked about the slides? I love how you use them, I do not like having to go back to the section to click links, when the link could be in video links section (where you click the discussion link)

• I had big complaints about being out of date, but it seems a remaster course is on its way, so bravo to that, absolutely love that it will get that, because it needs it.

• In this section I only started to understand some of the stuff being worked on at the end, when we started getting the cross development of blueprints and C++ because it was easier to visualize what was what and had something to compare to.
    – This is mainly because every explanation is extremely technical with no real comparisons to draw upon for beginners.

• The basic things like opening a door, are really helpful for me as a beginner to figure out C++, and honestly wish and figured there was going to be more of that in this course. It was calling building escape and we did one minor puzzle.
    – you mention quite a few times, we were going to implement cows and bulls in the project, where you had to beat that to escape the room, but this was never done so, and i really looked forward to having an example of implementing a pseudo mini game into a ue4 project.

Overall this section was a lot better for beginners imo than the cows and bulls and im feeling slightly more confident in understanding what is going on, but I have no confidence in making the project bigger without guidance because I wasn’t shown enough basic ways to develop things in C++ and connect them to blueprints sadly.
So i will be moving onto the next project. When I started the second section i told myself if it doesn’t get better than cows and bulls i’m going to stop and go to another course, but luckily it did get better. I will also hold my recommendation to my friends though till the next course. As they are waiting for my word on if its worth purchasing it.

Current Review star rating - 2 and a half stars.

I just finished the next section (BattleTank). For a little background, I’ve been a software developer for over 10 years, almost 9 of which I’ve even been paid for it (full time, not counting side jobs I did before that). But I’ve never used c++ before, and know nothing about Unreal.

I thought the Building Escape project was hard. Like, there was a lot of great info there, but there’s so many concepts thrown around all at once, it was not an easy experience. Unreal is complicated, I sort of feel like that’s just the nature of the beast until you start to sort of “get it” with how things are done in the engine.

I’ve had a much easier time with Battle Tank. I don’t know if that’s because it’s a more well designed section, or if it’s just that Unreal’s concepts are starting to sink in so that there’s less “why would you do it like that?” moments, though. At the end, they do encourage you to go back to Building Escape to add more puzzles to it, using the new concepts that were taught. And they also say that you should do that again after the last section.

I guess I don’t know what to say. I’ve tried to learn Unreal several times in the past, and it’s always seemed like an impenetrable monument to monolithic sloppiness. But this course has really helped me see how the dots are connected to each other, and it’s starting to make sense. The course might seem like a whole lot of different things all at once, but really, I don’t know how else you could become reasonably proficient. It’s a different paradigm of thinking, a whole new set of concepts, and you need to learn a lot of them at the same time for any of them to do anything. Combined with repetition… idk, it’s been working for me so far, and that’s all I’ve got lol

Privacy & Terms