My Block Breaker design, with a mechanical twist

Hello, it’s my first time posting here; I’ve recently started learning C# and Unity with GameDev.tv’s courses in order to eventually try and realize some game ideas I have.

I just finished the Block Breaker project, and even though I’m no master at programming at this stage, I did manage to add a little bit of additional functionality into the design. (I know it’s not visually very appealing, but I didn’t have the patience to work on that side because I wanted to concentrate on the programming)

So what I did was add a score modifier into the game, which gives the game a little bit more variety, strategic potential and incentive to become better at playing. The way it works is that each time you break a block, your modifier (starting at 1.0 by default) will increase by a pre-determined amount (0.1 by default), and each broken block after that will award points multiplied by the modifier. Whenever the ball hits the paddle, the modifier is reset. In other words, the more blocks you break without the ball returning to the paddle, the more additional points you get.

I made it so that all of those parameters are easily adjustable from the inspector (I’m going to be honest, SerializeField is my favorite thing in Unity, especially if I can make things into sliders): By default the modifier starts at 1.0 and the max is 2.0, and it increases by 0.1 with each broken block, but each of those settings can be changed depending on what seems the most appropriate for the game’s balance.

I’m excited to get started with Laser Defender, and even though I’m still barely a beginner with C# and Unity, I’m happy to have already learned some very useful tools.

1 Like

Nice idea with the modifier…I agree with you, sliders are the best!

Good luck with the next section!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms