My Barrel w/ Grooves

I thought it would look better with some gaps between the planks

RenderedBarrel

7 Likes

:grin: Gaps for the liquid to get out through?
It is a fine LP barrel. There is always the temptation to make the staves show up more clearly.

Real barrels are not perfectly smooth, here its just cartoonishly exaggerated / simplified like the rest of the barrel. They are the edges of the planks, they are not holes going all the way through, so nothing will leak out. It makes it look more complete and distinct.

1 Like

I was only playing with your comment. I realise you are making them cartoony as LP tends to be. I have done similar on barrels I have made.

This is exaggerated by bevelled stave edges too.

Real barrels are, or start life smooth.

There is no point in them not being so. Over time I suspect very fine dirt gets into the gaps between staves so visually we can see them more over time.

1 Like

Whats the most efficient way to make these gaps?
I already know i’m going to use this a lot as i’m comming from architecture and sketchup :wink:

I don’t know if its the most efficient, but I just used bevels (scrollwheel to one edge in the middle) and then scale-not-z inward for the middle edges (all selected and done together). I didn’t know it when I did this, but Grant actually covers this in the very next lesson (in case you haven’t seen it yet).

2 Likes

Had the same want as you. Good tip on him covering it in the next lesson! Was about to give it a shot on my own, but I’ll just keep going and get to it that way. Thanks!

Privacy & Terms