Moving platform details and functionality lost

Everything seemed great up to this point and then…

I edited my EpicGamesLauncher\Saved\Config\Windows\GameUserSettings.ini

Now, when I create the blueprint at 1:17

I notice it lacks all my moving platform details. So I deleted that and made a new one. Same deal.
Upon further investigation, they ALL lost my moving platform details and functionality even the ones that worked before!

This is probably a one-off fluke where I pulled the rug out from under the project I was building and I’m tempted to start anew (muscle memory, practice makes perfect, all that) but in the interest of learning, I’ll go ahead and ask. Why would this happen and is there an easy way to fix it without undoing what I did?

That has nothing to do with adding additional project paths to your GameUserSettings.ini. I added additional project directories after creating a couple of the GDTV projects already and they all worked fine. Are you sure you don’t have multiple copies of the same project in different folders?

Also, you may need to delete your Binaries, Intermediate, and Saved folders, regenerate project files for whichever compiler you’re using, and then rebuild the project. A lot of people have had issues with Live Coding during the course, so you might want to stick to building code changes from your IDE rather than from within the editor.

I’m surprised. That seemed so likely the cause. That .ini still had the apostrophe in the filename so rather than adding a new path I was able to just edit that and everything loaded fine.

It does seem like deleting the Saved, Binary and Intermediate folders put me back to where I was. When I try to proceed, however, BP_PushingCube fails to save.

I tried just naming it BP_PushingCubeB and this lets me save the actor. The level doesn’t have the original PushingCube in it but trying to save it keeps popping this dialog every time I “save all”. Do I have a broken remnant causing me issues? What’s happening here that blocks saving?

Usually re-saving the level itself will fix up any references to missing assets. I’d make sure you don’t have BP_PushingCube anywhere on disk then try opening the editor back up and re-saving the level.

If that doesn’t work, zip up the entire project folder and put it up on something like Google Drive so I can download it and take a look. I can probably fix it for you locally if I can take a look at the project itself.

This fixed it. I did an explorer search in the project root and found the old BP_PushingCube as well as references in this .ini file.

I left the .ini alone but I pulled the BP_PushingCube file out to the desktop while leaving BP_PushingCubeB in there. When I restarted the project the editor was fine and even let me rename B so its as if none of this had happened. So I’m good now? I think?

Stupid little problems like this are so annoying but in time I feel like they give clarity to what can go wrong and how to avoid it.

1 Like

Yep, all comes with experience. UE is great at trying to fix problems it encounters (like missing asset references) on its own, but it obviously can’t account for every possible discrepancy in project data.

In general, you’ll find that over time your workflow will adapt to avoid these kinds of data issues.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms