Moving furniture, yay!

OK, got this far and have furniture jumping to my code. Minor issue I ran into was that I had to enable physics for the chair and the table, as somehow by default it was turned off.

Basically I got my refactoring done as per my GitHub repo and found the table and chair stubbornly refused to move.

I added debug lines and checked that the grabber was detecting and operating, so I figured it had to be something in the world. I remembered about the change to be movable (1) and that didn’t fix it. Then I noticed the physics checkbox was unchecked, and since the thing was called “PhysicsHandle” I guessed it relied on the physics engine to work, so I checked that box. (2) Now, my table and chair was flopping around a lot, so I tried setting the rotation constraints (3) and that fixed that issue so it popped up and down handily like in the lesson video.

Note also that I found for some reason that the Physics body type (4) was set back to the wrong default as well, perhaps because at some point I’d had to roll back using source control.

There’s a video of the result Moving furniture on YouTube.. Now looking forward to the rest of the course.

Had the same issue at first, but instead of Locking the Rotation, I change the FLOOR collision to BlockAll. That also seemed to help. Then I could remove the lock rotation in x,y and z.

By the way, I’m having trouble releasing my furniture once I grab it. Any ideas?

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/29612d30689352f4c2e314a57259eeb2

I think that happened because Ben told us to delete all our files in the previous lesson on source tree. :smiley: Destroyed my file, had to rebuild from scratch better and faster, but still not complete since I had crazy amounts of rooms!! :smiley:

Thank you for pointing that out!

Hi Sarah,

Thanks a lot for this post as it helped me with the same issue

Regards,
Bhanu

1 Like

Privacy & Terms