Move Engine to Directory?

I’m able to find the file in question, but it’s not in the project directory at all, UE_4.22 is under Users/Shared/Epic\ Games/
using macos 10.15.6

Is it better to have this in the same place I work on my projects so I can work with these files more quickly in the future? If so should I relocate the engine? I’ve run into a couple weird issues already and had to access these files so I’m concerned I just downloaded UE4 to the wrong location…

Thanks!

Personally, I say you’re overthinking it. If an application allows one to install to a different location then its perfectly fine to do so.

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m running into a bunch of problems including my header files and I think this is the reason.

I’m finding work arounds, but I’m really having to dig into my c_cpp_properties.json config to deal with these errors, and I’d rather focus right now on learning C++/Unreal.

I guess I’m asking if anyone knows if moving the engine will cause other issues, as right now it’s just a pain moving through the course

To enlighten further, I installed VS and UE4 onto another drive letter and hard drive than the OS is on without concern or problems.

Though I may have done a hack with UE4 to get it to do that (a faint memory that could be incorrect which might have been this https://michaeljcole.github.io/wiki.unrealengine.com/Installing_UE4_To_A_Different_Hard_Drive/).

Still, it hasn’t been a problem. If you did a hack to do it then yes, a problem could possibly result. If you simply used the official installer and installed somewhere then either Epic has a bug with it on Mac or it isn’t the problem.

1 Like

I appreciate you getting back to me on that, may be useful to know for future reference!

I just discovered the problem I was having came from downloading the resources for BullCow from the provided zip.

When I created a new project in UE4 it was bundled with a reference to the engine right in the project, and didn’t come with the issues I was having before.
(I was having to manually configure my “includesPath” and “define” properties in my c_cpp_properties.json file, whereas those were initialized properly from the start in my new project)

A real learning experience this was :exploding_head:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms