Mouse vs Controller

I’m not yet certain if I will support controller with my game. My intent is for it to be played on a PC, but controller does seem like an interesting option.

For controller, I’m thinking that attacking will be directed toward the current direction of the player. So, If the player is facing north, he/she would fire north. Same would occur for both melee and range.

M.

There are plenty of games on PC where I find myself more comfortable using a controller… and for some its just more easier to use a PC. I guess its to do with the movement/targeting setup of the game.

I was WoW (World of Warcraft) player back in my college years and using mouse and keyboard was a no brainer. You have the cursor you can use to click on just about anywhere on the screen plus targeting.

Move on to another game DC Universe online, (which is set up a little differently) where you cant select things with a cursor unless you open inventory / or open dialogue with an npc. The targeting is controlled by you moving the camera to a particular direction. On this game, I just couldn’t get used to the mouse and keyboard and was more comfortable with a controller, while my colleagues found it easy to use the keyboard.

Its hard to explain visually unless you have played both games on the PC. Theres a term used for each control system which escapes me at the moment. Another equivalent comparison would be WoW vs TERA control system.

I guess you have to reach a compromise somehow in how you want your controls to be set up. Maybe theres a way to get the best of both worlds. Will get screenshots / videos to show differences when I get time.

Privacy & Terms