Motion blur for the propeller?

For the plane animation, is there a way to induce motion blur in the propeller without affecting anything else? Since we have (3) blades at 120 degrees offset, we are really limited in terms of simulating motion as rotation beyond 60 degrees per frame will being to slow down (and reverse, depending on the angle).

I was just curious if there a way to simulate higher speed motion (without too much added work).

Thanks.

1 Like

Motion blur is an animation feature.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/cycles/render_settings/motion_blur.html

1 Like

Thank you, that was helpful. I did notice the option in Evee, but not Cycles. Those seem to work at the camera level, which looks decent for my scene.

I did want to know, is it possible through the Compositor to add motion blur to the propeller, but not the plane?

1 Like

Yes, but it’s a more advanced setup.

In Blender you can render multiple scenes (not as in an animation). Just one frame, but multiple scene setups. If I’m correct, only the old full Blender course (2016? Michael as teacher) explains this.

You create a scene with only the propellor.
And you create a scene with the spitfire (without propellor), building, landscape etc.
In the compositor, you merge those rendered scenes together.
But before merging you blur the propellor, with a compositor blur node.

In the compositor, you can do image manipulations, as if you where in Photoshop.
But, that said, you can also do this trick in Photoshop, using two images. Nothing wrong with that solution. Expect you need to do that for every frame in your animation, so then, compositor is more handy.

Have fun.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms