More Mirrors: My model does not have the same faces the video has

On minute 2:52, the instructor selects the faces on the roof and deletes the faces:

so the roof then looks like this:

I have been following along since the beginning of the course but my model does not look like in the video:

If I try to delete the faces the model is destroyed:

Did I miss a step in the videos? I don’t want to continue with the roof looking like this.

FYI my model has Mirror on Axis X and Y, like in the video.

2 Likes

it looks like your “cut” (the Loop) wasn’t on the Base of the model ( orange dot).
The Orange dot is the point where everything gets mirrored.

Turn on the “clipping” in the mirror modifier. Go edit mode, edge select the middle edge an G+X drag the egde til both get connected.

on pic 3 & 4 i think there is an offset, maybe your model got a rotation or something.
On pic 4 is the gap at the top smaller than the bottom gap.

2 Likes

There is something odd about your roof as I see an erroneous Face dot in the middle of the left hand side sloping edge cut.

Now I suspect that extra geometry weighted the middle loop cut you made to one side so it did not fall on the true mid point.
Meaning when you deleted the redundant half of the roof there was a gap.

That is not really a problem though, as you can select the end vertices and grab, G, X, and move them to the centre line where they will join up and clip together, (so long as clipping is ticked in the mirror mod).

You will though need to get rid of that extra geometry.
Select all with A, then press M, picking by distance.
Odds are that will fix it, merger the extra geometry away.

2 Likes

Thank you both very much. I suppose it is something easy to fix and I have done the changes with your suggestions.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms